Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Two deposits

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by drmtk, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. drmtk

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does anyone know if there are rules preventing two deposits? One of the schools will not provide a decision on financial aid until the end of April. My plan would be to notify one of the schools that I would be withdrawing and would have to loose my deposit.
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. JIKJen124

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2005
    Messages:
    385
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Veterinary Student
    I certainly think you'd have to check with the schools on that one... I'd hate for them not to be OK with that and have one (or worse, both) schools cancel your admission.
     
  4. PAThbrd

    PAThbrd LA Surgery Resident
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2004
    Messages:
    694
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Veterinarian
    Pretty sure its a major no-no and would most likely cause you to lose acceptance at both. You probably want to check though...
     
  5. kate_g

    kate_g Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Messages:
    813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Post Doc
    So first I'd call the school where you're *not* waiting on the finaid decision, and beg them to give you a little while longer since you're just waiting to get some info from this other school. (That is... Make sure they haven't already cut you since presumably your deposit check has not arrived there yet.)

    Then call up the school you're waiting on, and explain politely but firmly that your decision to attend their school vs. the other one comes down to the financial aid package, and is there any way they could hurry up and process you now, pretty please?

    But as a side note... My impression is that if you were going to be offered a merit/recruitment scholarship, that would have happened some time around the time of your acceptance. The financial aid package is just going to tell you about your loans. If they use FAFSA then presumably both schools will come to about the same number as far as what they expect you to pay, and they'll offer you loans to cover the rest. I would think both schools would also be the same in terms of how much subsidized Stafford you get vs. unsubsidized, whether you qualify for the Health Professions Loan, and all that, since the government decides eligibility for that. It is possible, I guess, that one school or the other might offer you a need-based grant, but I'm not sure how common that is (my impression is that you usually have to be pretty darn needy in order to qualify for that sort of thing, not just normal-student-poor kind of needy).
     

Share This Page