Two Military Pay Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4sure

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I receive and accept a Air Force scholarship I have been told that I would be sworn in March as a 2LT. Fast forward 4 years or so and I graduate and am promoted to CPT.
My question is about longevity pay--Does the time start counting when I am sworn in meaning that I would be a CPT over 4 at graduation?
Also, if I get a deferral for a civilian residency do I get military pay or am I treated like every other civilian resident?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. No, you will be paid as captain with 0 year of service. However if you do get paid as 4 years captain then fix this. Many mistakes are known to be made by others in the military. You will have to pay all back if you don't fix this mistake for some reason.

2. During your civilian residency just like your civilian residents you will not be paid from the military. Financially, it is to your advantage to complete your residency training in the military.

Thanks for the reply haujun.

I've heard about some of those pay mistakes:wow: and can only hope one does not find me.

Originally posted by haujun
1. No, you will be paid as captain with 0 year of service. However if you do get paid as 4 years captain then fix this. Many mistakes are known to be made by others in the military. You will have to pay all back if you don't fix this mistake for some reason.

If you they do start paying you extra, why not just float on the money for a couple years and make some interest on it? Do they require you to pay more back then they paided out?