Two questions regarding PS and LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username456789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping some of you could help shed some light on two issues:

1. Our school tells us that we should aim to have "at least 1" LOR uploaded to ERAS by September 1. I plan on having my application all filled out and such by then, but I'm quite sure one of my four LORs will be delayed until probably late September. Is this a problem? Should I still go ahead and submit on/around September 1 and then just have the last LOR uploaded when it's uploaded? I know derm tends to start interviewing late, but I'm not sure if submitting closer to the late deadline would hurt me, and I feel like I can use any help I can get. Also, the earlier I have my app out there, the sooner I could be considered for Prelim interviews.

2. When writing your personal statement, if you had a previous interest in a completely different field and have published in that field, is it useful to mention your previous interest (as sort of a narrative of your decision process that led you to derm) at all? Or is that completely stupid/useless?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't mention an earlier interest. They'll ask in the interview if they want to know.

1. Our school tells us that we should aim to have "at least 1" LOR uploaded to ERAS by September 1. I plan on having my application all filled out and such by then, but I'm quite sure one of my four LORs will be delayed until probably late September. Is this a problem? Should I still go ahead and submit on/around September 1 and then just have the last LOR uploaded when it's uploaded? I know derm tends to start interviewing late, but I'm not sure if submitting closer to the late deadline would hurt me, and I feel like I can use any help I can get. Also, the earlier I have my app out there, the sooner I could be considered for Prelim interviews.

2. When writing your personal statement, if you had a previous interest in a completely different field and have published in that field, is it useful to mention your previous interest (as sort of a narrative of your decision process that led you to derm) at all? Or is that completely stupid/useless?

Thanks.

I had the same question but my situation was a little different because I actually did end up applying into a different field first, but withdraw from the NRMP half way through and took the year off to switch into derm. My chair told me that a good part of my PS should be dedicated to talking about why I switched from my previous field (ENT) into derm.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

Apologies, this is not a serious post, but...

For 2., don't do this:

http://www.futurederm.com/2011/08/1...turederm-com-stella-mccartney-fendi-and-more/

Handbags and clothing do not count as a "different field," and blogging should not count as "publishing." :D

I can't believe this person would actually publish her name and photo...being a M3 and all, and not matched yet...also describing herself as an "avid fan" of Christian Louboutin. Not wise.

That being said, I think it's cool that her blog is so popular...I've learned a few things reading her blog. Maybe her board score is 270+ and she can just relax and have fun during match...

Apologies, this is not a serious post, but...

For 2., don't do this:

http://www.futurederm.com/2011/08/1...turederm-com-stella-mccartney-fendi-and-more/

Handbags and clothing do not count as a "different field," and blogging should not count as "publishing." :D

I can't believe this person would actually publish her name and photo...being a M3 and all, and not matched yet...also describing herself as an "avid fan" of Christian Louboutin. Not wise.

That being said, I think it's cool that her blog is so popular...I've learned a few things reading her blog. Maybe her board score is 270+ and she can just relax and have fun during match...

i give her credit. She is putting her real name and real aspirations out there, unlike everyone else gunning for derm. To you it may seem foolish; to me it indicates accountability. She has a blog that is making money and is being followed by a lot of people. She wrote a book. She's doing an MD/PhD on top of that. I think she's impressive.

2+ to what Substance said.

This person is trying her best out in plain view. That is pretty hardcore. When she is asked what makes her different the answer is pretty simple...

She will be the one in clinic whom her fellow residents will be able to ask, "Have you heard of the new thus and such OTC treatment by so and so that my patient wants to know about for acne care?" because she will probably know about it.