Regarding Dermatology Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIPAA-Crit

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is a nuanced enough question that it has not been answered previously.

I'm 2nd year medical student about to take Step 1. My school is not a top 20 school and recently had it's dermatology residency cut.

I've come to the conclusion that I definitely need to do research if I want to match in dermatology (contingent upon step 1 score). Unfortunately, I don't have that research yet (only some radiology research). I'm planning on trying to do research during my third year (ambitious I know) and I plan on asking a nearby university that is top 20.

1. How feasible is it to get adequate research experience during third year (+/- fourth year away research rotations)?

Further complicating this, I'm currently on a scholarship that is paying for 80-90% of medical school. However, the stipulations of the scholarship are that my attendance at medical school be consecutive for 4 years. Thus, I would prefer not to take a research year between 3rd and 4th year due to the financial loss.

2. Would it be advisable to not apply to residency fourth year and then take that time to do additional research? How do residency directors view that research year if I'd be a non-intern MD during that time?

3. Any advice on how to ask a non-home institution about research opportunities? Do you start at the Chair and work your way down the list until someone takes you?

Regards!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this is a nuanced enough question that it has not been answered previously.

I'm 2nd year medical student about to take Step 1. My school is not a top 20 school and recently had it's dermatology residency cut.

I've come to the conclusion that I definitely need to do research if I want to match in dermatology (contingent upon step 1 score). Unfortunately, I don't have that research yet (only some radiology research). I'm planning on trying to do research during my third year (ambitious I know) and I plan on asking a nearby university that is top 20.

1. How feasible is it to get adequate research experience during third year (+/- fourth year away research rotations)?

Further complicating this, I'm currently on a scholarship that is paying for 80-90% of medical school. However, the stipulations of the scholarship are that my attendance at medical school be consecutive for 4 years. Thus, I would prefer not to take a research year between 3rd and 4th year due to the financial loss.

2. Would it be advisable to not apply to residency fourth year and then take that time to do additional research? How do residency directors view that research year if I'd be a non-intern MD during that time?

3. Any advice on how to ask a non-home institution about research opportunities? Do you start at the Chair and work your way down the list until someone takes you?

Regards!

1) It depends on the kind of research projects you are doing and the difficulty of your clinical rotations. I went from an all honors student pre-clinically to struggling to get high passes on my rotations. The research I was doing was basic science. For me, it would not have been possible to balance research with my clinical roations.

2) I think in your case, this would be the best solution if you don't feel your CV is competitive enough. I generally recommend research years if there are any doubts but in your case, I would not leave scholarship money on the table to do so. I would complete your 4 years of med school, take a research year if necessary, and then apply for residency and graduate. I would check with your dean but I think it would be in your best interest NOT to graduate (does your scholarship stipulate you must complete the degree in year 4?)

3) I would ask around to see who handles the research opportunities. I would look around to see what each PI is researching and to see who is prolific, who has a history of matching their researchers or research fellows, who's research you would be interested in, etc. I would not randomly email people until you get an answer. You'll want to take a more targeted approach

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
1) It depends on the kind of research projects you are doing and the difficulty of your clinical rotations. I went from an all honors student pre-clinically to struggling to get high passes on my rotations. The research I was doing was basic science. For me, it would not have been possible to balance research with my clinical roations.

2) I think in your case, this would be the best solution if you don't feel your CV is competitive enough. I generally recommend research years if there are any doubts but in your case, I would not leave scholarship money on the table to do so. I would complete your 4 years of med school, take a research year if necessary, and then apply for residency and graduate. I would check with your dean but I think it would be in your best interest NOT to graduate (does your scholarship stipulate you must complete the degree in year 4?)

3) I would ask around to see who handles the research opportunities. I would look around to see what each PI is researching and to see who is prolific, who has a history of matching their researchers or research fellows, who's research you would be interested in, etc. I would not randomly email people until you get an answer. You'll want to take a more targeted approach

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!
And yeah, my scholarship says that my time in medical school must be consecutive.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck!

I forgot to ask. What is the best way to gauge a PI's caliber and the information you suggested I get in question 3?

I forgot to ask. What is the best way to gauge a PI's caliber and the information you suggested I get in question 3?

I would look them up on PubMed.

How often do they publish?
Where do they publish?
Are there other authors on the papers that get credit?

In terms of match history, that is unfortunately not going to be open information. I recommend chatting with students further along in the process. Perhaps those in your school who have taken a research year. If they've gone through a similar process, they should know a lot of these details.