Two questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilfdinar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if being a pharmacy tech will stregthen my application to medical school? I really want a job that will give me flexibility to shadow and volunteer.
Also I was wondering if you guys know of any meaningfull volunteer experiences that I can do this year?
I graduated in 2014 and I am planning to apply june 2017

Members don't see this ad.

Pharm Tech is fine.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you.