Two Weeks Before MCAT with Subpar Scores... Advice please?(:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

See Sea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My MCAT is in approximately 2 weeks, and I've been scoring pretty poorly on the AAMCs, such as 24, 25, 26, 27. I'd like to ask you all for some advice on what I can do to improve... All I'm aiming for is a 30, and hoping to get accepted somewhere in Texas.

Just for some quick BG info for context:
I'm a non-URM IS Texas resident. Recently graduated, and am taking some time off to take care of this MCAT, which I think is all that I need left to apply. Unfortunately, my cGPA is pretty poor (3.51) and my sGPA (3.42) follows closely behind, which is why I know I need to do pretty well on this MCAT.

I have plenty of research experience, I think. I've worked in 4 different labs (so I was able to experience research in various areas of study) in the past 4-5 years, starting in high school. I was fortunate enough to get 1-2 publications in as well with the work I contributed (did not write those publications btw), and also was fortunate enough to work for an ophthalmologist near my university as his medical office assistant for about 2 years so far (thankfully, this means a lot of hands-on patient interaction).

Buuuut of course, none of these things really matter unless I figure out the MCAT! >_<

So, in terms of the MCAT, yeah, obviously I am struggling :(
I took a practice test today and scored a 24 (10 PS, 5 VR, 9 BS). I don't think I was feeling too good on the VR part. I normally score at least a little bit higher. And yeah, I think after post I'm going to go cry for a good bit (yeah, I'm a girl. Literally. Haha).

Average scores, ranging 24-27 cumulative can be broken down as:
9-11, PS
6-8, VR
9-10, BS

Even by totaling my max points, at best I have a 29. Sigh, haha. I think I struggle most with time, accuracy (especially in VR), and just being able to apply the concepts that I know to the problem. So this probably means I need a lot more practice, especially with VR.

At this point, I'm considering pushing my MCAT further back to maybe, the beginning of October (give an additional 2 months)...? Would any of you recommend a longer time frame before 2015 hits? Any advice, encouragement, constructive criticism or honesty would be really appreciated. Thank you for your time:)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying this cycle? If not, great! You can push your MCAT back to at/before January 2015 to take the last old MCAT. It seems if you score 25+ you'd be pretty solid for DO schools too. Depends on where you want to go it seems!

You can totally do this. Practice efficiently, and SDN has great advice for MCAT prep. Best of luck!

Are you applying this cycle? If not, great! You can push your MCAT back to at/before January 2015 to take the last old MCAT. It seems if you score 25+ you'd be pretty solid for DO schools too. Depends on where you want to go it seems!

You can totally do this. Practice efficiently, and SDN has great advice for MCAT prep. Best of luck!

Hi, no I'm not applying this cycle. I'm willing to wait for the next one because I know I'm not ready... Oh, thanks! Yeah... I've considered DO, but I'd prefer MD obviously -- but at this point, I shouldn't be too picky huh? Thanks for the advice!

Hi, no I'm not applying this cycle. I'm willing to wait for the next one because I know I'm not ready... Oh, thanks! Yeah... I've considered DO, but I'd prefer MD obviously -- but at this point, I shouldn't be too picky huh? Thanks for the advice!

If you have time to delay, you should definitely delay, since you are not where you want to be!

They generally say that AAMC averages are fairly representative of your actual score. Think 95% of people score +/- 3 within their average. Use this time to prepare to the best of your abilities, and apply early next year! You'll do great, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have time to delay, you should definitely delay, since you are not where you want to be!

They generally say that AAMC averages are fairly representative of your actual score. Think 95% of people score +/- 3 within their average. Use this time to prepare to the best of your abilities, and apply early next year! You'll do great, best of luck!

Thanks so much :)

I'm having a similar problem actually! My test date is August 1st, but I have a backup date of September 10th. I was going to make a new thread about this but yours was just so similar I thought I would piggyback off of it. I have school in the fall so I don't want to write too far into September because I want to focus on my GPA instead of MCAT. I'm also quite hesitant to write the 2015 MCAT since i've spent all this time studying for the current MCAT! I'm consistently getting a 10 in VR, then my PS ranges from 7-19 and BS ranges from 8-10. I've read the MCAT score tips but I was wondering if anyone has advice in writing it so soon afterwards. I'm going to give August 1st a shot but would it be too soon to write again September 10th? Thanks in advance for your input!

Reactions: 1 user