Program-Specific Info / Q's TWU (houston) or UTHSCSA? - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sapphireOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I've been preparing to attend UTHSCSA (San Antonio) for the past month now. I was waitlisted at TWU (Houston) and UTMB. But then recently I received an email telling me there's a spot open at TWU (Houston) and for me to reply by Monday if I want to accept. I did some research below but am still conflicted about which school to choose. What do you guys think? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

- Can anyone who has attended/attends TWU or UTHSCSA give some input into why you decided on your school?
- I also heard TWU teaches using the "flipped classroom" method. Does anyone have input on what that's like compared to normal lecturing? Things you like and dislike about it.
- I know TWU has a research-focused OT program. As a current student, what do you enjoy/dislike about this approach? Do you feel like it's lacking in exposure to clinical experience? Or is it well-balanced between research and clinical experiences?
- At TWU, are there any opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration or interaction? Like with PTs or speech therapists.
- Does school ranking matter for the quality of education you'll be receiving? What about for finding your first OT job?

MY RESEARCH:

Tuition - (TWU more expensive by $3,831.58)
UTHSCSA - $17,438 for all of the 31-month program
TWU - $21,269.58 for all of the 29-month program

Rent + utilities (approximate) - (TWU more expensive by $4,800)
UTHSCSA - $500/month x 31 months = $15,500 (apartment is within walking distance of school)
TWU - $700/month x 29 months = $20,300 (probably at least 20+ minute driving distance)

School Ranking - (TWU higher in ranking)
UTHSCSA - #54
TWU - #17

NBCOT Passing Rate for 2015 - (same for both schools)
UTHSCSA - 100%
TWU - 100%

Other considerations
UTHSCSA is in San Antonio and TWU is in Houston. My family and most of friends are in Houston area where TWU is. San Antonio is 3 hours away by driving.

Initially I was glad TWU didn't conduct interviews anymore because it was one less worrisome thing I had to deal with; however, now I understand how valuable the experience is for prospective students. I had an interview at UTHSCSA back in December. The facility, OT faculty, and current students there all gave me a great overall impression of the school. Whereas for TWU, I feel like I know nothing about facility, faculty, and students, except whatever is available online.

This being spring break week, was really bad timing to notify me of my acceptance. I tried to visit TWU to see the facility and talk to current students but only the first floor was open and barely anyone there. I didn't try doing this before because I completely did not expect to get accepted into TWU. I was told I had no chance of getting in with my GPA. Buuttttt look what happened lol. *Moral of story: take all advice (even those of counselors) with a grain of salt and don't be discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I ask how did you calculate $19,459.38 for the full 2.5 year program? It is not that I don't believe you. It's just I'm extremely happy if that is the case. Lol.

TWU Houston is #25. (Denton is #17). Still better than Uthscsa.

I got accepted into TWU in Houston. I do not know much about it because I applied to schools that I could possibly get accepted in first (#1 concern).

"No, ranking does not matter." That is what I hear everywhereeeeeeee. I keep reading that ranking only matters for business and law schools. For health professions such as OT/PT, it is passing the licensing exam that does matter. You will be happy not to walk about with debt (especially from private schools). TWU is next to a large medical center, which means you have a large chance of networking.

I'm not sure if the reliability of the bus system, it has buses! (Good transportation is one of my concerns since I do not plan on driving).

To be honest, they are both good schools. Look at the curriculum, location, features, and see which is more suitable to your taste. :)

May I ask how did you calculate $19,459.38 for the full 2.5 year program? It is not that I don't believe you. It's just I'm extremely happy if that is the case. Lol.

TWU Houston is #25. (Denton is #17). Still better than Uthscsa.

Thank you for replying and congrats on your acceptance!!
And yes, I agree the curriculum, location, and features are things to consider too. I also want to be able to walk to school or take the bus instead of driving. Houston traffic in that area is really bad I've heard. It's just the closer you live to the medical center, the more expensive the rent gets. Have you started looking for a place yet? I really need to visit the TWU campus and talk to some people tmw when everyone's finally back from spring break before I make my final decision.

So I realized I didn't account for credit hours during Fieldwork Semesters when I calculated tuition. It should be $21,269.58 instead. Is this around the number you have?

As for how I calculated the tuition for TWU, I used this website: http://www.twu.edu/bursar/tuition-fees.asp
Each graduate credit hour is $251.26 (for Texas residents)
Each occupational therapy course is an additional $5 per credit hour
TWU OT program has 83 credit hours according to http://www.twu.edu/occupational-therapy/numbers.asp

(251.26 + 5) x 83 = $21,269.58