TX, FL or Somewhere else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I heard that Northeast is over saturated in terms of Retail Pharmacists Job opportunities, I wonder what state would be BEST to find a retail pharmacy job?

Is it TX, FL or some other state leading? I am little nervous b/c graduating soon ..:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

So I heard that Northeast is over saturated in terms of Retail Pharmacists Job opportunities, I wonder what state would be BEST to find a retail pharmacy job?

Is it TX, FL or some other state leading? I am little nervous b/c graduating soon ..:scared:

Texas is not as bad as Northeast but unless you are already an intern with a company its very hard to find a position in a decent-size city. They are always looking to hire in East TX, West TX, and the border though (one company is offering 140k to work 50 miles from the border)

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard FL is SUPER saturated!

Yea, overall it is. 2 schools up north and 4 schools down south (2 on each coast). There are still pockets here and there that are less desirable location-wise, but have job opportunities. Have to have a strong Intern position with good experience in order to be considered for an interview post graduation for Wags (in south fl). I've heard that the other chains are tightening up too, and some have implemented hiring freezes for Interns and Rph's.

Yea, overall it is. 2 schools up north and 4 schools down south (2 on each coast). There are still pockets here and there that are less desirable location-wise, but have job opportunities. Have to have a strong Intern position with good experience in order to be considered for an interview post graduation for Wags (in south fl). I've heard that the other chains are tightening up too, and some have implemented hiring freezes for Interns and Rph's.

You go to NSU, don't you? I graduated from there last year. It absolutely is difficult to find pharmacist positions down here. I finally beat the odds and was offered two full-time positions- one with CVS and the other with Walgreens- nearly 5 months after licensure. I had the luxury of choosing the "lesser of two evils" and you can imagine which of those two employers I chose. Oh, and they were both for positions in the MIA.

Finding a job in your desired location requires perseverance, the ability and willingness to support yourself or have financial assistance from family over a period of months until you find what you want. A lack of patience will deter you from waiting and you will end up moving and not getting the job in the city you want. If it worked out for me in one of the most desirable cities in FL, it can work out for anyone. Unfortunately, as i stated, not everyone has the patience or resources to be waiting around for employment opportunities to arise. Some people are simply not picky either about job location. To each his own...

You go to NSU, don't you? I graduated from there last year. It absolutely is difficult to find pharmacist positions down here. I finally beat the odds and was offered two full-time positions- one with CVS and the other with Walgreens- nearly 5 months after licensure. I had the luxury of choosing the "lesser of two evils" and you can imagine which of those two employers I chose. Oh, and they were both for positions in the MIA.

Finding a job in your desired location requires perseverance, the ability and willingness to support yourself or have financial assistance from family over a period of months until you find what you want. A lack of patience will deter you from waiting and you will end up moving and not getting the job in the city you want. If it worked out for me in one of the most desirable cities in FL, it can work out for anyone. Unfortunately, as i stated, not everyone has the patience or resources to be waiting around for employment opportunities to arise. Some people are simply not picky either about job location. To each his own...

Yea, I go to NSU in Palm Beach. Glad you finally found a job, congrats! Personally, I feel that I'm fortunate that I've been with Wags since 2005 (5 years as an Assistant Mgr) and my wife is currently an Assistant Store Mgr. I feel that I have a strong leg up come graduation, but of course nothing is guaranteed in life and I fully understand that too. I'll keep my eyes open and options open during rotations, but I'd be completely content and happy with working at Wags if it comes to that...considering this economy and job market.

But I absolutely agree with you, I've heard of many grads this past year from both campuses that have struggled to find jobs. Fortunately I've heard that many found jobs eventually, like yourself, which is great. Personally I'm doing everything I can do secure a position, which includes; working couple days a week, networking with many RXM's, keeping in contact with my District Supervisor and DM, taking on work-related projects and doing community Wag events, doing a rotation with my Supervisor etc, etc.

All in all, it's getting tougher out there and I'm not taking anything for granted that's for sure. All I can do (or any student for the matter) is try to place myself in the best position possible and hope for the best.

Job market is not bad in Texas. There are openings for those who have the experience, skills or flexibility. The problem is location and getting the pay grade. Border towns have high turn covers, and offer high pay, but not a place to settle down or start a family. There are opening in major metros, but you need to have skills (residency or experience) or else no game or they will low ball you. There are also openings in the west that pays decent, but hope you like farm animals...alot.

Texas is good if you're looking in El Paso, Eagle Pass, Brownsville, basically border towns like xiphoid2010 said.

Houston and the surrounding area is definitely oversaturated with 2 pharmacy schools there plus 2 other schools that rotate students there

Texas is good if you're looking in El Paso, Eagle Pass, Brownsville, basically border towns like xiphoid2010 said.

And I want to add, there is nothing wrong with that if you are a young and single. Many new grads will be still 24-25, and border towns can offer you opportunities that you can't get else where. Think of it as a stepping stone for those with no family ties. Get some management or clinical experience in your early/mid 20s is a viable option in a long term plan for a better career in a more desirable location when you want to settle down. But beware of your risk tolerance and timeline of your plan. I know a DOP in Laredo, his staff turn over is 30%...