TX Medical School Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sahren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you think that the MCAT score to get an acceptance is exceptionally low because they take into account JAMP students? Would that mean that the bar is raised for us non JAMP students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, Texas definitely has some amazing opportunities.

Yeah. I know, but I'd rather go OOS and rack up 200k in debt and see how quickly I can pay it off.

Apparently, there was some error with my financial aid, so that cancelled my eligibility.

Great post, I was thinking about doing this a few weeks ago, but figured there was no point since the application cycle was over. But great work (all of your numbers check out with what I've compiled as well).

However, I've always wondered why the matriculated stats have been so much lower than the accepted stats. Any thoughts?

Possibly. I'd focus more on accepted averages over matriculant, although both sets of data have their problems.

There are many URM and JAMP students that may bring the matriculant averages down, especially when class sizes range from 80-230 (small sample size). However, in the larger accepted pools, the applicants with the highest stats (3.9+, 35+) typically have acceptances at most of the TX medical schools and are included in all the calculations, raising the averages up.

The numbers that apply to you are likely somewhere in between the two data sets.

Fixed :D

is it me or are these stats a lil too high?

Great post, I was thinking about doing this a few weeks ago, but figured there was no point since the application cycle was over. But great work (all of your numbers check out with what I've compiled as well).

However, I've always wondered why the matriculated stats have been so much lower than the accepted stats. Any thoughts?

While many Texans are likely happy staying in Texas, the more competitive ones might be willing to leave if they have the opportunity. Turning down great Texas schools for a mid-tier school somewhere else seems like a stupid financial decision, but my guess is that the applicants with the higher stats are more likely to end up somewhere else while the applicants with lower stats are more likely to end up in Texas. Just a guess but it makes sense to me.

(sent from my phone)

While many Texans are likely happy staying in Texas, the more competitive ones might be willing to leave if they have the opportunity. Turning down great Texas schools for a mid-tier school somewhere else seems like a stupid financial decision, but my guess is that the applicants with the higher stats are more likely to end up somewhere else while the applicants with lower stats are more likely to end up in Texas. Just a guess but it makes sense to me.

(sent from my phone)

I guess.

It still shocks me though that someone would choose a mid-tier school over a Texas school. Our med schools are ridiculously cheap compared to other states. At the end, an MD is an MD.

I guess.

It still shocks me though that someone would choose a mid-tier school over a Texas school. Our med schools are ridiculously cheap compared to other states. At the end, an MD is an MD.

Because people don't make rational decisions sometimes.

(sent from my phone)

I'm applying this coming cycle to mostly TX schools and gathered some information that I thought I'd share. These are the matriculant GPA and MCAT averages for each school. Most of the information is based on the 2012 entering class, but some is from 2011 or 2010. If you have more recent info I'll update it.

TCOM: 3.57c, 3.46s, 28

UTHSCSA: 3.6, 31

UTH: 3.73, 31

TTU Lubbock: 3.64c, 3.55s, 29

TTU El Paso: 3.69c, 3.63s, 29

A&M: 3.65, 29

UTMB: 3.78, 31

BCM: 3.8, 33

UTSW: 3.8, 34
Nice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading those stats almost makes me sad :(

Wait, I don't think UTMB has higher stats than UTH. Are you sure that's the right MCAT?

That, and most of our schools ARE mid tier. I don't think people going OOS are leaving for mid tiers, they probably only leave for the top.

This. Not that many people will leave Texas for some average school elsewhere. It will most likely be a top school. The schools here are pretty good.

I had to since those numbers aren't freely available. I'd say at least a 30-31 to account for the other factors discussed above (and excluding the DO school), but yes, TX is no California fortunately.

As a california resident just learning about JAMP

:(

At my UTMB interview we were shown a PowerPoint slide that stated that the most recent incoming class had an average MCAT of 29.3