TX Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IamDO26

Reaction score
removed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which two schools did you interview at?

You MCAT and GPAs are competitive. You don't need the one year masters to get into a Tx medschool. Do it only because you want the MA.

You should strive to get a minimum of 200 hours for clinical and non-clinical vol hours. Practice your interviewing skills if you don't get off the WLs.

I don't know how to advise about the committee packet. Reach out the committee and ask it how to proceed.

Which two schools did you interview at?

You MCAT and GPAs are competitive. You don't need the one year masters to get into a Tx medschool. Do it only because you want the MA.

You should strive to get a minimum of 200 hours for clinical and non-clinical vol hours. Practice your interviewing skills if you don't get off the WLs.

I don't know how to advise about the committee packet. Reach out the committee and ask it how to proceed.
I interviewed at Long and TCOM. Would you count projected hours into the 200 hours? I have well over 200 for nonclinical volunteering but worry that clinical may take some time to set up. Once it's set up I hope to start gaining hours right away.

With the committee packet. I know they will send it again for this cycle if I ask. But, is it wise to use the same letters again? I am sure the letters are good and have read some of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very surprised that you only received two IIs from Long and TCOM with your metrics/stats. It's good that you will rewrite your app and secondaries and reapply early. I think projected is fine, but as a possible reapp, you have an extra hurdle to overcome, so do as many hours over 200 as possible. Again, practice your interviewing skills.

I'm going to defer to Adcoms and other SDN experts regarding your committee packet. I also would like to know.

TX can be a crapshoot. Apply OOS DOs and even some MDs.

Reactions: 1 user
TX can be a crapshoot. Apply OOS DOs and even some MDs.
Do you have any recommendations? I applied to LSU Shreveport and University of Oklahoma but was rejected pre-ii from both. Looking back, I probably should've added more private schools. I have ties to Oklahoma so I was pretty disappointed about that one.

Do you have any recommendations? I applied to LSU Shreveport and University of Oklahoma but was rejected pre-ii from both. Looking back, I probably should've added more private schools. I have ties to Oklahoma so I was pretty disappointed about that one.

Any reputable OOS DO would work fine as safeties. For OOS MD look for schools that are OOS friendly like MCW, Drexel, Rosalind, Loyola, Creighton, etc.

Any reputable OOS DO would work fine as safeties. For OOS MD look for schools that are OOS friendly like MCW, Drexel, Rosalind, Loyola, Creighton, etc.
OP, refer to the MSAR for a breakdown of which schools are OOS friendly. However, applying OOS as a TX resident sucks because OOS schools expect you to stay in Texas due to how cheap it is here.

You should ask your school's committee, but I am almost confident you will need a new packet of updated letters. Updated LORs are expected when reapplying (I didn't use a school packet and had to get updated letters every year that I reapplied).

As a first year student at one of your two schools, I wish you the best of luck. There is a significant amount of waitlist movement between now and matriculation, so don't lose hope yet. But hope for the best and continue to prepare for the worst.

As far as the SMP at TAMU, I don't think you need it. Your GPA is great and your MCAT is at least competitive. SMPs are really more for people that either come into the application process from a different career or for poor uGPAs needing reinventing.

Ask your committee. I disagree that they will require all new letters... emphasis on "will". Many committees will just resend the old packet along with an update addendum. Find out first.

This may or may not be true. I think lower GPA applicants tend to do better OOS.
It’s definitely a thing. There might be a small distribution of lower stat applicants that might have a better shot OOS, but by in large, the expectation is that most average to above average applicants will stay in Texas over going OOS. It’s just so much cheaper and all of the public schools in Texas are solid.

I am currently waiting on two waitlists, but am preparing in case I need to reapply. I will list my application from this cycle and my additions below. I am seeking advice on if I have improved enough... And what else I can do in the next two months to improve my chances as much as possible.

2021-2022 Application Cycle:
Texas Resident
507 --> 512 MCAT (this score was submitted mid August after most of my secondaries)
3.92 cGPA, 3.81 sGPA (from well known private university in TX)
150 hours clinical (medical internship), 80 hours shadowing (virtual and in person, variety of specialties), 160 hours nonclinical volunteering (special needs and other miscellaneous stuff), 250 hours research (neuroimmunology lab), 1000+ hours working (waitress, bakery job, research animal care staff), 1 semester Genetics Lab Assistant (listed as leadership on TMDSAS), Various extracurriculars throughout college (sorority, university leadership organization, church groups)

2022-2023 Application Cycle:
I have already added:
  • Nonclinical volunteering: 75 hours working with special needs kids, 50 hours tutoring kids in an after school program at a title 1 school in my hometown, 50 hours leading a group of freshmen students and helping them in their transition to college, 50 hours volunteering at my university going to college fairs and talking/advising incoming students
  • Graduated Magna cum laude honors in December
  • Work: 100+ hours working as a substitute teacher in my hometown (wasn't my first choice but couldn't find a clinical job and schools were having to shut down due to teacher's being out. I saw a need and have done what I can to help)
What I plan to do:
  • Clinical: I would like to bolster my clinical hours. I think the easiest way to get into a clinical setting at the moment would be through volunteering. I've applied to a few hospitals and am waiting to hear back. I would like to add at least 100 hours by May and then continue to do it as the cycle starts.
  • Apply Early: I didn't submit everything until mid August this cycle due to retaking my MCAT. My goal, this time, is to have my primary submitted day 1 and my secondaries submitted by the end of June (but as early as possible)
  • Rewrite Everything: I think my writing was okay, but nothing special. I intend to rewrite everything and have it read over by a writing coach at my undergraduate university.
Additional Questions:
  • Can I reuse my committee packet? I am confident that my letters were good.
  • A doctor I know recommended I do a one year master's program at TAMU. Would this be a good use of my gap year?
I would say if your WLs don’t turn out, reapply to TMDSAS and DO.
I don’t think you need to do a masters!
Submit in May or June

It’s definitely a thing. There might be a small distribution of lower stat applicants that might have a better shot OOS, but by in large, the expectation is that most average to above average applicants will stay in Texas over going OOS. It’s just so much cheaper and all of the public schools in Texas are solid.
Idk. N=1 but I had more success with OSS MDs that TX MDs.