TX Tech 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found out recently I got accepted to the Abilene campus. I just found this thread. :)

Anybody have any housing/apartment suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!

Where did you have your interview? I had mine at Abilene and I was given a list of apartments with rates on it and stuff.... I can scan it to you if you don't have one. I need a list for Amarillo though... if you happen to have that, we can trade heh

Found out recently I got accepted to the Abilene campus. I just found this thread. :)

Anybody have any housing/apartment suggestions?

Congratulations!!

Where did you have your interview? I had mine at Abilene and I was given a list of apartments with rates on it and stuff.... I can scan it to you if you don't have one. I need a list for Amarillo though... if you happen to have that, we can trade heh

I had my interview in Abilene as well. I got the whole list of apartments and such and am going to go check them out this Friday. I was just wondering if anybody else is a step ahead of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the mass email from Mike Schwettman:

"Those applicants who do not receive an offer from the meeting this week will be reviewed after the April 11th and 18th interviews."

When did you get this email from Mike? I wonder why I didn't get it.

what?! no one's posted since the 10th? :) well, i guess i should start. anyone have any comments from the 11th interview? i have one question for those who attended...do you guys remember what mike said about when they are meeting to review us? and when we should expect to receive any news? I asked someone else during the interview and I'm pretty sure that person said April 20th is when they are going to review us with everybody else.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

bringing it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

i think that the ADCOM will review again after this weeks interview.... anybody else still waiting?????

i have one question for those who attended...do you guys remember what mike said about when they are meeting to review us? and when we should expect to receive any news? I asked someone else during the interview and I'm pretty sure that person said April 20th is when they are going to review us with everybody else.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

I emailed them, and they said they would be reviewing EVERYONE again on the 29th - and to expect something a week after. They might review the most recent interviews earlier - so it could be the 20th.

I emailed them, and they said they would be reviewing EVERYONE again on the 29th - and to expect something a week after. They might review the most recent interviews earlier - so it could be the 20th.
thanks for the info...i wish it was sooner. :) did you interview last week?

okay, probably gonna decline my acceptance to the amarillo/dallas site. just found out i got into uh, and i'm super excited about it. good luck to the rest of ya! i know how hard the wait is...

okay, probably gonna decline my acceptance to the amarillo/dallas site. just found out i got into uh, and i'm super excited about it. good luck to the rest of ya! i know how hard the wait is...

man.....CONGRATS!!!!:hardy:
so happy for you~~!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview's on Friday in Amarillo....feel like throwing up... blaarrrgh.

Was it nerve-wracking for anyone at their interview? :scared::scared:

My interview's on Friday in Amarillo....feel like throwing up... blaarrrgh.

Was it nerve-wracking for anyone at their interview? :scared::scared:

The whole thing seemed pretty laid back, and although it was an all-day event, it really went by quick! The interview itself wasn't too bad, but they did ask some tough situational type questions--but talking with others afterwards, seems everyone thought the questions were kind of tough...so don't worry! I met some really awesome people there, too--other interviewees as well as the faculty...try to have fun!

The whole thing seemed pretty laid back, and although it was an all-day event, it really went by quick! The interview itself wasn't too bad, but they did ask some tough situational type questions--but talking with others afterwards, seems everyone thought the questions were kind of tough...so don't worry! I met some really awesome people there, too--other interviewees as well as the faculty...try to have fun!

Thanks! Is there a chance you can share what those situational questions were? If you can't because they told you not to, then that's ok. :)

Thanks! Is there a chance you can share what those situational questions were? If you can't because they told you not to, then that's ok. :)

You'd have an unfair advantage if you were given the questions.

You'd have an unfair advantage if you were given the questions.

Hm, I doubt that each of the interviewers would ask each group the same thing? If so, I see a lot of people getting unfair advantages from their friends.

Anyways, please don't patronize me by that comment I made. You'll never know until you ask; it's one of the basic principles of the world.

And are you going to Texas Tech? Amarillo? Abilene?

Why are there so many spinoff TTU threads all of the sudden?

-2 people going to Amarillo...-2 friends of mine going ...so depressed..
but more spots for other...oh well...:rolleyes:

Why are there so many spinoff TTU threads all of the sudden?
hm...you're right i just noticed that. maybe it's because this thread was sort of dying the past few days and maybe starting four other TTU related threads would get someone's attention :)

Hm, I doubt that each of the interviewers would ask each group the same thing? If so, I see a lot of people getting unfair advantages from their friends.

Anyways, please don't patronize me by that comment I made. You'll never know until you ask; it's one of the basic principles of the world.

And are you going to Texas Tech? Amarillo? Abilene?

Firstly, I don't see how he's patronizing you. Secondly, I agree... you would be getting an unfair advantage if you were given the questions. Thirdly, they do as some of the same questions. Just because some people get unfair advantages from their friends doesn't mean its right. I'm going to have to back Knick up on this one.

Yeah, I really wasn't trying to patronize anyone here.

I've been accepted to A&M, and I'm still waiting for the yes/no from Tech to see if I get to choose. I'm thinking that they'll say no in the next few weeks. My interview was kind of sour, with the student complaining about my previous career and my student research activities not showing an interest in pharmacy.

I'm sorry that I'm not 18 years old with zero work experience and that I've done research. What did she want?

Yeah, I really wasn't trying to patronize anyone here.

I've been accepted to A&M, and I'm still waiting for the yes/no from Tech to see if I get to choose. I'm thinking that they'll say no in the next few weeks. My interview was kind of sour, with the student complaining about my previous career and my student research activities not showing an interest in pharmacy.

I'm sorry that I'm not 18 years old with zero work experience and that I've done research. What did she want?

Knick, what's your previous career if you dun mind telling?

Has anyone started looking for housing in Amarillo? What have you see that you like? Of you guys who live there now, got any recommendations? Thanks

I will be applying for the tx tech pharmd this coming up fall. I had a few questions regarding the admission process...PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE.....

1. Does the school really only considers the most RECENT grade and not take the older one(lower grade) into consideration?

2.Which PCAT score or scores will be considered?

Has anyone started looking for housing in Amarillo? What have you see that you like? Of you guys who live there now, got any recommendations? Thanks

Nice Apts
Renaissance
Winchester
Remington

Decent Apts
Dove Park
Huntington Point
Willow Glen
Quail Creek

I live in the Renaissance, pretty nice but expensive. Have friends at the others.

I will be applying for the tx tech pharmd this coming up fall. I had a few questions regarding the admission process...PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE.....

1. Does the school really only considers the most RECENT grade and not take the older one(lower grade) into consideration?

2.Which PCAT score or scores will be considered?

1. Most recent grade. However, If you failed or got a D in a class I believe it counts against your interview score.

2. Most recent.

any suggestion how to find a roommate? Thanks

Nice Apts
Renaissance
Winchester
Remington

Decent Apts
Dove Park
Huntington Point
Willow Glen
Quail Creek

I live in the Renaissance, pretty nice but expensive. Have friends at the others.

When is everyone going to start looking for apartments? I'm heading up to Amarillo in June but was wondering if that's a little late. Should I go up there sooner?

Last year I believe the school organized a list via email of the people who wanted a roommate. Other than that facebook or myspace people you liked from your interview, maybe. Its kind of hard to find someone you are compatible with the first year.

When is everyone going to start looking for apartments? I'm heading up to Amarillo in June but was wondering if that's a little late. Should I go up there sooner?

June should be fine, although earlier is always better. I signed my lease in May of last year and got what I wanted.

To all who got accepted this year to TX tech....... Do you mind sharing your stats to help out future applicants??

To all who got accepted this year to TX tech....... Do you mind sharing your stats to help out future applicants??

Stats are near worthless beyond the minimums desired by Tech. Beyond that, I guess the essays and application info is of use. After you land an interview, all that matters to Tech are the events of your interview day.

In other words, a person with a 3.0/70 is considered equal to someone with a 4.0/99 after each person gets an interview. The decision between the two people is based entirely on the interview day.

My stats are very high, but I've been deferred multiple times. I'm sure some that have been accepted have a much lower GPA and PCAT score while others have very high scores.

I am trying very hard to keep my anxiety level down until the end of April, but I just can't! Has anyone heard anything from Tech today? I am just freaking out because I checked my admission status online this morning and the same message had been on there since I got the interview invite. But juts five minutes ago when I checked it again, it changed from "Invited for Interview" to "Applied/Complete." I am just sooo nervous! It makes me wonder if I didn't get in because wouldn't the status go from "Invited for Interview" to "Accept Offer" if I was accepted? :( :( :(

I am trying very hard to keep my anxiety level down until the end of April, but I just can't! Has anyone heard anything from Tech today? I am just freaking out because I checked my admission status online this morning and the same message had been on there since I got the interview invite. But juts five minutes ago when I checked it again, it changed from "Invited for Interview" to "Applied/Complete." I am just sooo nervous! It makes me wonder if I didn't get in because wouldn't the status go from "Invited for Interview" to "Accept Offer" if I was accepted? :( :( :(

I swear, sometimes I think schools are sadistic and want to see how close they can bring you to a heart attack! Hope you get some good news soon!

I will be attending a different school so that opens up one more seat.

I swear, sometimes I think schools are sadistic and want to see how close they can bring you to a heart attack! Hope you get some good news soon!

I will be attending a different school so that opens up one more seat.
Yeah...I hope I hear something soon! :) By the way, congratulations on getting into UT!

I'm far removed and have not read through all of the posts for this thread, but I thought I would offer any insight for anyone who will be going to Tech this upcoming fall or for those interested in the future. I'm graduating in the next few weeks and have been a member of sdn since 2003 when i was applying for school. I haven't posted in a long time and have been checking things out here and there. Anyways, feel free to ask me any questions regarding the next 4 years as well as job/residency opportunities after you graduate from Tech. I know I was concerned that Tech wasn't as established as the other pharmacy schools in TX and that it may hurt me when applying to residency- didn't hurt myself or any of my classmates or past students who wanted to go out of state and to big name institutions.

Best of luck to you all,

Em

whats good family? I got into Abilene and I been trying to find an apartment out there...I was wondering if any of y'all out there know of some good apartments in Abilene....any recommendations?

The company that runs Winchester and Remington are also making a new complex that should open in May. It's called The Colony(or Colonies) on Hillside.

They're pretty pricey. lol

Nice Apts
Renaissance
Winchester
Remington

Decent Apts
Dove Park
Huntington Point
Willow Glen
Quail Creek

I'm a little worried about the test blocks they kept talking about during the interview. Can anyone explain this a little more? Do you have one week of nothing but tests? Or do you have class that week also? And how far apart are they?

Thanks!

I'm a little worried about the test blocks they kept talking about during the interview. Can anyone explain this a little more? Do you have one week of nothing but tests? Or do you have class that week also? And how far apart are they?

Thanks!

I guess the logic behind the exam blocks is that they are used to give more time to take the exam than the 50 minutes you would have if you took it during class time. If a prof schedules an exam in the exam block they usually give you a compensation day off. The blocks are at the end of our day of classes on wed and fri this semester. Not every exam block is filled (you don't have a test every wed and fri) and not all profs use them and instead use their time in class. Hope this helps.

What was your experience e-mailing Mike Schwettman? Did he respond fairly fast? I e-mailed him on Monday and haven't gotten any response. :(

Also...has anyone received any acceptances lately?
:scared:

Thanks, jas.

I thought it was more like you had classes for three weeks and then a test for every class the 4th week. And I thought that sounded like a really good way for me to fail out of pharmacy school within the first two months. :)

whats good family? I got into Abilene and I been trying to find an apartment out there...I was wondering if any of y'all out there know of some good apartments in Abilene....any recommendations?

I got an apartment in the Curry Junction (http://www.curryjunction.com/) apartments. Rent is decent (~600) for a one bedrom 687 square feet apartment. It has washer/dryer connection. Basic Cable is paid for, but not water/electricity (I signed up for Reliant energy...has pretty cheap rates). It allows pets, so I'm bringing my cat. It has a really nice work-out room and I was -really- impressed with the professionalism of the office staff. The place was very quiet on a Friday evening as well...which is what I need. Also, I'm trying to qualify for a reduced rent based on the fact that I'm a student and won't be working that much. If I'm accepted, it knocks $200 off my rent. You might want to look into that, too.

It's probably about 20 minutes or so away from the pharmacy school but it's right by the Abilene mall and a Walmart for shopping stuff. You can get right on the highway and hook up with I-20 to take you to the school.

I've looked at a couple other places (I'm in San Angelo, so I have the time to drive up to Abilene) and I'd be happy to tell you what I thought about them. Also if you have any questions about the area or places to go, contact me as well. Just shoot me a PM or even better...send me a message on my facebook, I'll probably reply to that sooner. :)

Good luck and congrats!