TY year versus Prelim Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiredofstudying

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Was starting to think what would be better before starting PM and R...Transitional Year versus Prelim Medicine. Are you at a huge disadvantage if you do a transitional year? What do programs like to see?
 
I did a prelim medicine year. I personally don't think that it makes a difference as long as you get the training that you need. The residents in my program come from all different types of intern years and we all are very confident in managing patients. As long as you get good training inpatient experience and know how to manage and recognize basic medical problems you should be in good shape.

The main thing is to develop that sense when a patient is in trouble and when to transfer to an acute care service.
 
I did a prelim medicine year. I personally don't think that it makes a difference as long as you get the training that you need. The residents in my program come from all different types of intern years and we all are very confident in managing patients. As long as you get good training inpatient experience and know how to manage and recognize basic medical problems you should be in good shape.

The main thing is to develop that sense when a patient is in trouble and when to transfer to an acute care service.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally I think that a prelim medicine year with one or two electives will give you a stronger base of medical knowledge to build on as you go on in your career. I found that some of my colleagues that did a transitional year did rotations that in reality served no purpose for their future. I think a strong medical knowledge base is very important, especially in your pgy-2 year when you will be doing mostly in-patient rehab. In my internship I had the opportunity to do a neurology, rheum and radiology electives which I think really helped me out.

Yet, no matter where or which internship track you choose just focus on getting a good education and building a strong foundation. Focus on step 3 and learning as much medicine as you can, since this will be your only exposure.
 
It doesn't matter.

I've heard PDs say that they would prefer their residents complete a prelim med year, sine the first PM&R year is usually inpatient heavy. However, I've seen many TY graduates do fine. A good TY program will give you a solid clinical foundation. As long as you don't approach the TY as a "cush" year you'll be fine.

A TY year will usually provide you with more elective time, allowing you to perhaps better focus your training. During my TY year, I did electives in rheum, neuro, radiology, geriatrics (rotated theough SNFs), and sports med (done from a Family Med perspective). All incredibly helpful experiences, even to this day.
 
I found a transitional year more helpful for my training and sanity. Yeah, I might have been better at the med stuff during my first 1.5 years of PM&R, but consults are easy and appropriate. Getting more surgical exposure and more elective time was nice.
 
What about doing a surgical prelim year? I know of a few current PM&R residents that did surgical prelim years and felt that they were able to get a good amount of PM&R exposure through the consult service as well as gain experience managing patients that become PM&R patients and sometimes bounce-back from complications while at PM&R.

I ask because this is what I am doing. At times I question why I did because it is EXTREMELY exhausting being a surgical intern (not that all prelim years aren't, but I know I am working way longer than my medicine counterparts) and I hope the experience I am gaining helps somehow.
 
What about doing a surgical prelim year? I know of a few current PM&R residents that did surgical prelim years and felt that they were able to get a good amount of PM&R exposure through the consult service as well as gain experience managing patients that become PM&R patients and sometimes bounce-back from complications while at PM&R.

I ask because this is what I am doing. At times I question why I did because it is EXTREMELY exhausting being a surgical intern (not that all prelim years aren't, but I know I am working way longer than my medicine counterparts) and I hope the experience I am gaining helps somehow.

Sorry man, there is no silver lining to doing a surgical internship unless you plan to be a surgeon. I had PM&R friends who also did it for various reasons (usually desire to stay in a particular city or couples match) and they did just fine later.
 
I found a transitional year more helpful for my training and sanity. Yeah, I might have been better at the med stuff during my first 1.5 years of PM&R, but consults are easy and appropriate. Getting more surgical exposure and more elective time was nice.


That's great to hear! I am leaning towards a TY year over pre-lim medicine. Thanks for your input!