ty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Figureitout234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have got it all backwards.

1st. Taking the MCAT and possibly doing well in it is not the way to gauge whether medical school is right for you. Doing ECs like clinical volunteering and nonclinical volunteering with service to those less privileged than you, etc is how you gauge whether you can spend the rest of your life as a physician in service to ill patients. Your ECs will give you a clear indication of whether you should begin your journey to medical school.

2nd. As a nonscience major with a nonscience master, you will be doing yourself a huge disservice by attempting to self-study for the MCAT before taking the science prereqs, especially biochemistry. Taking your science prereqs at a CC is fine since you are a nontrad.

Finally, if you are not passionate about medicine and your heart is not in it, then please don't waste the time, energy, and money taking this journey.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with DV-T. Going into medicine is not a decision to take lightly--it's quite a commitment. Before trying to see if you can handle the academic rigors (for which the MCAT is not a good gauge anyway), do the above and find some volunteer/work experiences to see if medicine is really right for you.

If you decide medicine is right for you, take all the pre-reqs before taking the MCAT. Doing well (ie., all A's) in the pre-reqs is the best way to study for the test. I took all my pre-reqs in the year prior to the MCAT (all of gen-chem over the summer, then physics/bio/o-chem during my post bac year. Biochem was not required except at a handful of programs back when I was applying). A few weeks later I took the MCAT and felt well-prepared due to how hard I worked that year.

A lot of people will say taking courses at a community college is a bad idea. I do know plenty of med students who did it. It's much cheaper. But you do have to understand admissions committees typically see them as being much less rigorous courses than those at a 4-year college (and they sometimes are), so you really need to do optimally in any course taken at a community college.