Types of classes at medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr mutt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was talking to a pre-health advisor, and she said that some schools focus on a particular type of learning (lecture based or hands-on lab based). Is there a way to determine what school does which? I can't find it on the school's website.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the school's curriculum, ask around, or even call the offices.

You should find out if schools are lecture based or problem based learning (PBL) based. Some schools will emphasize hands-on lab stuff more than others, but there is no way that this type of learning can be the main mode of learning.

Most schools will have some mix of lectures, small group/PBL stuff, and labs (anatomy, histo). Some schools have different amounts of time devoted to the different methodologies, but you might have to email schools and ask for more detailed info like a sample schedule or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was talking to a pre-health advisor, and she said that some schools focus on a particular type of learning (lecture based or hands-on lab based). Is there a way to determine what school does which? I can't find it on the school's website.

Thanks.

I think, at least for most people, I would try to go to a strict P/F school instead of focusing on how the school teaches. Most schools have a similar style (new curricula are like fads nowadays), and P/F grading leaves time for research, clinical volunteering, and exploring interests as well as life in general. Just my two cents though.

Schools with non-traditional curricula tend to advertise this pretty heavily, so check the websites of the schools you're interested in. Pretty much every med school site I've been on has a section that describes the curriculum. If it's an alternative curriculum, they will likely describe how it's the best thing ever.

I think, at least for most people, I would try to go to a strict P/F school instead of focusing on how the school teaches. Most schools have a similar style (new curricula are like fads nowadays), and P/F grading leaves time for research, clinical volunteering, and exploring interests as well as life in general. Just my two cents though.

This, and schools that don't have required attendance every day.