Types of PEM Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hlancaster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AAMC has a directory of fellowships that participate in the various matches. I was researching pediatric EM fellowship and noticed that there are two different items in the directory, each with a distinct list of fellowships:

*Pediatric Emergency Medicine (Emergency Medicine)
*Pediatric Emergency Medicine (Pediatrics)

What is the differencd between these two? It appears that peds boarded doctors are still eligible for many of the fellowships listed under the "Emergency Medicine" distinction.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The AAMC has a directory of fellowships that participate in the various matches. I was researching pediatric EM fellowship and noticed that there are two different items in the directory, each with a distinct list of fellowships:

*Pediatric Emergency Medicine (Emergency Medicine)
*Pediatric Emergency Medicine (Pediatrics)

What is the differencd between these two? It appears that peds boarded doctors are still eligible for many of the fellowships listed under the "Emergency Medicine" distinction.

Thank you for your help!
One is a fellowship program through the school's Department of Emergency Medicine, one is through the Department of Pediatrics. The former is geared toward EM residents, the latter is geared toward Peds residents.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, SurfingDoctor. Are post-fellowship career opportunities the same for both types of programs? Can one still go into academic PEM at a children's hospital after PEM fellowship run through an emergency department?

I'm applying to peds residency now. Some of the institutions I applied to have EM-run PEM fellowships and some have Peds-run PEM fellowships, so I'm wanting to learn more about the difference between the two, since PEM is an interest of mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, SurfingDoctor. Are post-fellowship career opportunities the same for both types of programs? Can one still go into academic PEM at a children's hospital after PEM fellowship run through an emergency department?

I'm applying to peds residency now. Some of the institutions I applied to have EM-run PEM fellowships and some have Peds-run PEM fellowships, so I'm wanting to learn more about the difference between the two, since PEM is an interest of mine.

I imagine you'd have academic opportunities through either kind of fellowship. While programs run through EM or Peds depts may have a focus on EM or Peds residents, respectively, from what I've seen, their websites usually make it clear they accept either kind of resident.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Well, looking at the list the Peds-based fellowships are at larger Children's Hospitals, while the EM-based fellowships seem to be at smaller hospitals (though, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I got from a quick glance at the list). The thing about finding jobs after fellowship is it comes down primarily to 2 things: 1) Who do you know (ie, whose in your colleague network) and 2) What skill set beyond clinical skills did you acquire that sets yourself apart of the other applicants. I don't know enough about the programs to give any meaningful insight, but I suspect the Peds-based programs have more opportunities related to those points compared to the EM-based programs, but that is just a guess.

Yea, the vast majority of childrens hospitals are staffed primarily by PED-->PEM trained people but I suspect they would love to add more EM-->PEM people as well. It brings a different perspective and having worked with both, have different strengths (anecdotally). EM-->PEM is also a rarer path to take because for a Pediatrician, doing PEM is a significant pay increase while for an Emergency Medicine doc, it's a significant pay cut.

Either way, if you want to work at a Children's Hospital, you will generally need to be PEM trained through either pathway. Many community hospitals are adding dedicated PEM sections as well, for good reason. With that said, the vast majority of children's ER visits are, and will continue to be seen, by general EM physicians, especially out in the community.

Last edited: