Types of Practices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have heard that admissions reps look to see that you shadow a variety of optometrists.

What are all the possible types of places we can shadow? And what are admissions looking for?

So far I only know of private practices and retail practices.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, that is bull**** expectations from admissions. The actual doctor work (eg professional obligations to adhere to standards of care and practice) are the same regardless of modality of practice. The only differences are ownership and delegation of administrative duties and business model.

Commercial, Private practice owned by optom, private practice owned by oph, VA hospital/HMO/public health center, academia, military, home-visit.

I've never worked in admissions, but I can't imagine SHADOWING DIFFERENT MODALITIES would hold any influence over something more critical like ECs, gpa, oat; namely because it doesn't sound helpful, and the fact you will there is a slam chance that you won't shadow anyone that isn't a private practice doctor since others cannot give authorization to have some non-organization entity observe an exam per organizational compliance standards.

I wouldn't worry about actually shadowing different modalities, rather I'd at least be knowledgeable about what exists.

Reactions: 1 users
An admissions counselor I spoke with told me they prefer three different "types" of optometrists. For example, I shadowed an optometrist in a rural area, one in a populated area and one who specialized in vision therapy. I was told that was enough. Even just an optometrist that owns a practice and one that works for one could lead to different experiences shadowing. As long as you can describe how each one was different you should be good! It seems like they just want you to have a good idea of what the field is all about!

I shadowed at a commerical practice, private practice and group practice. If you can find something like this, I highly recommend it.