Types of professors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deslok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between the types of professors (e.g., assistant, associate)? Can all types be mentors for graduate students? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Deslok said:
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between the types of professors (e.g., assistant, associate)? Can all types be mentors for graduate students? :confused:

To my knowledge an assistant prof. would be the lowest ranking tenure-track position, followed by an associate prof. and then once you obtain tenure you would be a full prof. and i believe any of these could serve as a mentor.

cmuhooligan said:
To my knowledge an assistant prof. would be the lowest ranking tenure-track position, followed by an associate prof. and then once you obtain tenure you would be a full prof. and i believe any of these could serve as a mentor.

Actually, usually tenure comes with promotion to Associate Professor after seven years (more or less) in a tenure track position. Many universities also have a designation of "graduate faculty" which determines if faculty can teach graduate courses, serve on, and direct thesis and dissertation projects. This designation is usually based on research productivity and can be given to faculty at all ranks, although frequently faculty in their first few years are not allowed to be "full" members of the graduate faculty. As a result of not being allowed to be full members of the grad faculty for the first few years, frequently assistant professors (particularly new assistant professors) cannot serve as chairs (or at least sole chairs) of thesis or dissertation committees.