Types of research that would benefit an application for Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickflip723

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, was hoping to pick your brains about some research opportunities.

I had the good fortune of being paired up with an oncologist who specializes in kidney, bladder, and prostate cancer for my first year clinical experience, and he works closely with a team of urologists. I've been invited to do basic science cancer research in his lab. I'm interested in his work, and I think he would be a good mentor, but I'm also wondering if I should be seeking out something that is more overtly "surgical?" Would this research be considered "urology" research or should I be contacting actual urologists as mentors instead? Is there even a happy medium that perhaps I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the good fortune of being paired up with an oncologist who specializes in kidney, bladder, and prostate cancer for my first year clinical experience, and he works closely with a team of urologists. I've been invited to do basic science cancer research in his lab. I'm interested in his work, and I think he would be a good mentor, but I'm also wondering if I should be seeking out something that is more overtly "surgical?" Would this research be considered "urology" research or should I be contacting actual urologists as mentors instead? Is there even a happy medium that perhaps I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a good opportunity, but I would be cautious with getting involved in bench research. You won't really have the time you need to spend to be productive with lab work in most cases. You want to make sure you are getting as many publications/posters as possible for your application and usually that means clinical research/chart review type stuff. That's how the game is played unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Having experience like that would be looked at very favorably at my program. Most applicants seem to have several different projects, so if you can get involved in that but also find urologic research for submission to AUA or your section would be a nice addition.

Research matters, I think you should take this chance. Considering that the mentor is oncologist your research probably will focus on the effect of X on cultured cancer cells or prevalence of Y in the cancer specimens. This type of research is prone to citations. You may also get involved in future research. Good luck.