Typical day for neurology resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey I'm an M1 (or at least will be in ~1 week) and lately I've been considering the possibility of specializing in neurology. I took a lot of neurophysiology/neuroscience classes as an undergraduate and also did ugrad research in a neurosci lab for 2 years...so I've had an interest in the field for some time now, and lately have been seriously entertaining the possibility that i might pursue neurology.

Unfortunatly, I never had the oppertunity to shadow a neurologist while an undergrad, and I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to give me a better understanding of what neurology is like on a day to day basis both for residency and beyond... i.e. patients, flexibility of schedule, hours, pay, general pros/cons etc...

Thanks!

scm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
although many of us would love to answer all of these somewhat broad questions, most of us have little time for the lengthy/detailed response it requires, you are asking a bunch of things here..being an M1 you have ample time and opportunity to make this decision, nothing will compare to experience-the best thing you could do right now is set up some time to shadow a Neurologist and/or some residents to get a feel for the field(I suggest a mixture of outpatient and inpatient, do _not_ just hang out on stroke service), they'll more than likely be pleased to answer these questions as well, and youre in a good place for Neuro...also be sure to keep an open mind going into 3rd yr. Like you, myself and many of my friends(I would say 60-70% of my class) had much exposure to a particular area of medicine and/or thought they knew what they wanted to do prior to 3rd year, and i would say maybe 5-10% actually chose that field now that 4th yr has begun...

take care
scm