Typical day for neurology resident

Started by velo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I'm an M1 (or at least will be in ~1 week) and lately I've been considering the possibility of specializing in neurology. I took a lot of neurophysiology/neuroscience classes as an undergraduate and also did ugrad research in a neurosci lab for 2 years...so I've had an interest in the field for some time now, and lately have been seriously entertaining the possibility that i might pursue neurology.

Unfortunatly, I never had the oppertunity to shadow a neurologist while an undergrad, and I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to give me a better understanding of what neurology is like on a day to day basis both for residency and beyond... i.e. patients, flexibility of schedule, hours, pay, general pros/cons etc...

Thanks!
 
although many of us would love to answer all of these somewhat broad questions, most of us have little time for the lengthy/detailed response it requires, you are asking a bunch of things here..being an M1 you have ample time and opportunity to make this decision, nothing will compare to experience-the best thing you could do right now is set up some time to shadow a Neurologist and/or some residents to get a feel for the field(I suggest a mixture of outpatient and inpatient, do _not_ just hang out on stroke service), they'll more than likely be pleased to answer these questions as well, and youre in a good place for Neuro...also be sure to keep an open mind going into 3rd yr. Like you, myself and many of my friends(I would say 60-70% of my class) had much exposure to a particular area of medicine and/or thought they knew what they wanted to do prior to 3rd year, and i would say maybe 5-10% actually chose that field now that 4th yr has begun...

take care
scm