Typical day in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd2021jk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I will be starting an accelerated 3 year program in September. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips heading into this summer and the start of the program. Also was wondering about the typical day for an accelerated PharmD student. I'm expecting to spend a lot of time studying, so I won't be working just wondering the typical life of a PharmD student.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m starting at South College in June - when I talked to previous students there, they told me to treat school like a 9-5 job - studying at home for a few more hours if/when needed.. of course, each student is different - so I would imagine some will spend all day and all night studying...

I know it’s not much help, but I would be finished with my first semester come September - so I could revisit it and let you know how I did and what to expect..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teachers read you endless powerpoints.
You memorize endless powerpoints.
You regurgitate info on powerpoints for endless tests.

Repeat x 3 years.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Repeat x 3 years.

It’s an accelerated program so repeat x2 years. Very few PowerPoints on rotations after all.

Reactions: 1 user
Same as undergrad but with alot more info to regurgitate.
Coffee, study, eat and sleep.
Maybe add in a little fraternity activity, party, alcohol, league of legends, work on weekend, and participating in extra curricular activities - clubs/organization like provide free screening, immunization, educational topics to the public. All while sacrificing some sleep on certain days.

Reactions: 1 users

This is it. There isn't a whole lot of processing, understanding to it just rote memorization. The curriculum will be shown to be integrated and semesters will appear to build on each other, but if you can get good grades if you just memorize the handouts. Will you remember it in 5/15/30 years?

Typical day for me was something like this:
9am-2pm class
2-3pm study on my own
3-4pm study group
4-5pm gym
5-6pm dinner
6-8pm study on my own
8-10pm relaxing, tv, internet, etc

Anytime the day before a major midterm or final, I wouldn't do anything but study.

In pharmacy school it would be very easy to become socially isolated. Don't let this happen!

The people who failed out all had one thing in common. They let themselves get isolated. Being social in pharmacy school serves a purpose. You can get useful info about your classes from others, especially the class above you. Things like "don't buy the book for any of the classes except X, because Professor Y wrote the book and most of the test questions are from the reading, not the powerpoints."

So how can you be social when you have so little free time? Study with the same core group on a consistent basis. The gym can be an excellent way to build friendships, too. I was never a big drinker, but I made it a point to "make an appearance" at all the pharmacy parties.

Also, if you are good at making study guides, you will make a lot of friends :) There was a guy who graduated 2 years before I started pharmacy school. His study guides were handed down and are still being used almost 10 years later (for classes still taught by the same professor). He is regarded with almost celebrity status at my school. Every single pharmacy student who graduated from my school in the past decade knows his name and regards him highly. I'm sure that he will never have trouble finding a job, no matter how over-saturated things get.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
@johnpharm01, on that note, how do you manage to retain so much info despite being out of clinical for so long?

@johnpharm01, on that note, how do you manage to retain so much info despite being out of clinical for so long?

I study to the practice site I work in. Know the drugs, laws, practice standards at my job. No one knows everything and memorizing a ton of information is useless that's what references are for. I try to get a functional knowledge base. I also don't waste time on poorly written material.
So in retail, I need to know the drug, what its used for, when its contraindicated, typical side effects, life threatening side effects, dosage. in so far as therapeutics, where does a drug belong in therapy.

Repeat x 3 years.
You will be lucky also if you have words on this ppt.
In one of my class I have 90 slides for 1 topic almost pictures lol.

Hello Everyone!
I will be starting an accelerated 3 year program in September. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips heading into this summer and the start of the program. Also was wondering about the typical day for an accelerated PharmD student. I'm expecting to spend a lot of time studying, so I won't be working just wondering the typical life of a PharmD student.
Basically you browse the internet or play videos games on your laptop on high speed internet while the lecturer speaks. Every once in awhile you will have a lecturer that calls on people from the audience or attempts to force people to pay attention. This sucks but happens sometimes. Then one or two days before the exam you start cramming. For me it was usally the night before and the morning of (wake up early) Pharmacy school is pretty easy tbh. Programs like electrical engineering, computer engineering, medicine are much harder. Pharmacy programs are very easy. Infact some of the classes I have taken at community college were harder than my pharmacy school classes. Basically just know: Brand name, MoA, ADR and interactions.

Basically you browse the internet or play videos games on your laptop on high speed internet while the lecturer speaks. Every once in awhile you will have a lecturer that calls on people from the audience or attempts to force people to pay attention. This sucks but happens sometimes. Then one or two days before the exam you start cramming. For me it was usally the night before and the morning of (wake up early) Pharmacy school is pretty easy tbh. Programs like electrical engineering, computer engineering, medicine are much harder. Pharmacy programs are very easy. Infact some of the classes I have taken at community college were harder than my pharmacy school classes. Basically just know: Brand name, MoA, ADR and interactions.
If it was easier than your community college, then you went to a **** school.

I'm thinking about posting this to /r/iamverysmart

Reactions: 1 user