Typical Day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can an anesthesiologist describe his/her normal day at work in a hospital or/and private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

GuP said:
can an anesthesiologist describe his/her normal day at work in a hospital or/and private practice?

Sure. I'll expand on the ABCs of anesthesia that everyone knows:

Airway
Book
Chair
Doughnut
Extubate
Funnies (Read)
Go
Home

Peace out!

depends on where you work. some places are cush, only healthy patients, some are sicker and not so cush, and then there is academics and critical care, pain, etc. Your job when you finish residency is to find the cush one with healthy patients that also pays well...but lets hope medicare doesn't keep cutting reimbursements even further...

Members don't see this ad :)
I came in at 3pm today (well, yesterday). I inherited a board with about 10 cases. Mish-mash of ortho, neuro spine, pedi crani, plastics flaps that I finished off with the help of residents :) . During the last six hours or so, it's four in the morning now, we did:

41 yo woman MVA 6d ago, ORIF tib-fib with rectus flap
57yo man ORIF humerus industrial accident
12yo boy debridement of burned feet/lower legs
15yo boy motorbike v. tree, ORIF tibia
40yo man motorcycle v. car ORIF humerus
60yo man fell off barstool, internal bleed. surgeon said it was the worst liver he's seen in 30+ years, when they opened him up 4L + poured out, we got him back to the ICU to die there
GSW to chest, cracked chest in ED, dead
GSW to arm - not coming to OR till tomorrow
GSW to head - just grazed him, he'll be okay

and probably a few other things. I guess trauma season is upon us!

iron said:
I came in at 3pm today (well, yesterday). I inherited a board with about 10 cases. Mish-mash of ortho, neuro spine, pedi crani, plastics flaps that I finished off with the help of residents :) . During the last six hours or so, it's four in the morning now, we did:

41 yo woman MVA 6d ago, ORIF tib-fib with rectus flap
57yo man ORIF humerus industrial accident
12yo boy debridement of burned feet/lower legs
15yo boy motorbike v. tree, ORIF tibia
40yo man motorcycle v. car ORIF humerus
60yo man fell off barstool, internal bleed. surgeon said it was the worst liver he's seen in 30+ years, when they opened him up 4L + poured out, we got him back to the ICU to die there
GSW to chest, cracked chest in ED, dead
GSW to arm - not coming to OR till tomorrow
GSW to head - just grazed him, he'll be okay

and probably a few other things. I guess trauma season is upon us!

Liver lacs do best if you don't operate unless of course they are bleeding out in front of you.

bump.
was that a resident's typical day?

why come in in the afternoon? was it a call day?

for a general anesthesiologist in private practice, how often is call usually ? every week, month?

thank you.:)

bump.
was that a resident's typical day?

why come in in the afternoon? was it a call day?

for a general anesthesiologist in private practice, how often is call usually ? every week, month?

thank you.:)

it was an attending's day in academia.
anesthesia is not a cush job which you have to choose for a lifestyle - the load is less in PP but it is very far from being cush.
Consider derms :D

And yes, for the resident it is a typical day :smuggrin:

it was an attending's day in academia.
anesthesia is not a cush job which you have to choose for a lifestyle - the load is less in PP but it is very far from being cush.
Consider derms :D

And yes, for the resident it is a typical day :smuggrin:

i was not asking about sarcasm and irony in a typical anesth. nor was i asking about cush factor.

i need objective descriptive info. that's it. if you want to practice your humor skills, may be this is not the best place to do it here ;)

i was not asking about sarcasm and irony in a typical anesth. nor was i asking about cush factor.

i need objective descriptive info. that's it. if you want to practice your humor skills, may be this is not the best place to do it here ;)

Nor is it a good place to practice your typing and/or English skills.

Nor is it a good place to practice your typing and/or English skills.

my typing and english skills can be easily improved, your intelligence and character --never!!! :scared:

my typing and english skills can be easily improved, your intelligence and character --never!!! :scared:

I was actually going to answer your question until I read your rude posts. Here's a tip to improve your character, if you are going to come into someone's forum and resurrect an ancient thread, try not to be a rude little brat.
Good luck with your search for information, I think you might need it. BTW, I don't think that Anesthesiology would be a good fit for you.
Regards,

Last edited:

+1

There is plenty of room for comedy, sarcasm and irony in any thread. Lighten up, chill out, take some lithium. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually going to answer your question until I read your rude posts. Here's a tip to improve your character, if you are going to come into someone's forum and resurrect an ancient thread, try not to be a rude little brat.
Good luck with your search for information, I think you might need it. BTW, I don't think that Anesthesiology would be a good fit for you.
Regards,

my character is just fine. :D if no one volunteered to share anything in 4 years, i doubt you'd bother now.
and have i ever asked your opinion about me? do i care? nope.:rolleyes:
you and your opinion don't matter. and i doubt you matter at all. how is that for rudness?

my character is just fine. :D if no one volunteered to share anything in 4 years, i doubt you'd bother now.
and have i ever asked your opinion about me? do i care? nope.:rolleyes:
you and your opinion don't matter. and i doubt you matter at all. how is that for rudness?
I don't know about rudness, but you are rude. However if you think that that's bad, you have a lot to learn. As I recall, you did ask a couple of questions here that, presumably, you wanted to have answered.
Do you really want an answer, or are you just looking for an argument? I know the answers, as do the many residents and attending physicians who post on this forum. As you continue to show that you are not worthy of a legitimate reply, I would not expect one to be forthcoming.
Keep working on your English and typing skills. Are you sure you're not in high school? If you were really a medical student, I would expect you to have more respect. (another character flaw perhaps?) By the way, if you are a medical student, you have ample access to any number of operating rooms. Each one should have an Anesthesiologist present or nearby to help you learn more about the field. Try to be a little more respectful than you have been here, and you might actually get some answers.:laugh:
Regards,

I don't know about rudness, but you are rude. However if you think that that's bad, you have a lot to learn. As I recall, you did ask a couple of questions here that, presumably, you wanted to have answered.
Do you really want an answer, or are you just looking for an argument? I know the answers, as do the many residents and attending physicians who post on this forum. As you continue to show that you are not worthy of a legitimate reply, I would not expect one to be forthcoming.
Keep working on your English and typing skills. Are you sure you're not in high school? If you were really a medical student, I would expect you to have more respect. (another character flaw perhaps?) By the way, if you are a medical student, you have ample access to any number of operating rooms. Each one should have an Anesthesiologist present or nearby to help you learn more about the field. Try to be a little more respectful than you have been here, and you might actually get some answers.:laugh:
Regards,

i have a suggestion for you:
why don't you stop passing judgments about me: whether i want a cushy job (i don't), whether i know english, and know how to type.

i don't have time to wander through the hospital right now because i have exams. and that's all i do, i read, and have exams. that's why i asked.

but instead of being a prejudiced racist elitist speculating about my english and grammar, why don't you stop wasting your time, and go to work, if you in fact do work.;)

why don't you stop passing judgments about me: whether i want a cushy job (i don't), whether i know english, and know how to type.

i don't have time to wander through the hospital right now because i have exams. and that's all i do, i read, and have exams. that's why i asked.

but instead of being a prejudiced racist elitist speculating about my english and grammar, why don't you stop wasting your time, and go to work, if you in fact do work.;)

"prejudiced racist elitist"
" and go to work"
That's really funny!!!
I hope that you'll pass your exams. Or who cares - there is positive discrimination for you. Did you consider that?

-I never commented on a "cushy job", that was another of your increasing number of admirers.
I'm neither prejudiced nor elitist, and nothing in my posts would suggest that I am or warrant that accusation.
-I'm not speculating about your typing skills, they are there for all to see. You brought them up yourself earlier today, I was just pointing out that they still need work.;) In fact, I'm sure that your English is adequate, you are probably just careless. That's another reason to probably consider a different career than Anesthesiology. A careless Anesthesiologist is going to have a very short and stormy career.
-I've been done for hours. That's what it's like in the real world of Anesthesia, sometimes. I have plenty of free time and money to do whatever I want, including continuing a discussion with a disrespectful medical student.

Hey, I just answered part of your question.:smuggrin: Lighten up Francis.

+1

There is plenty of room for comedy, sarcasm and irony in any thread. Lighten up, chill out, take some lithium. :p

careful guys.. she might run to the "I am depressed" thread in the Leisure forum and start complaining how the big bad anesthesiologists made her cry today.

lol...

careful guys.. she might run to the "I am depressed" thread in the Leisure forum and start complaining how the big bad anesthesiologists made her cry today.

lol...

oh great. this loser is my fan too. i am in love:love:
i always attract these types:smuggrin:

oh great. this loser is my fan too. i am in love:love:
i always attract these types:smuggrin:

please don't flatter yourself. i don't like crazy girls. and you definitely don't belong in this field. Anesthesiologists need to be calm under pressure not break down in tears because someone yelled at them. And you should learn some respect ASAP, because once you hit clinical years with this kind of attitude you'll be toast. Lithium might not be a bad option for you.

please don't flatter yourself. i don't like crazy girls. and you definitely don't belong in this field. Anesthesiologists need to be calm under pressure not break down in tears because someone yelled at them. And you should learn some respect ASAP, because once you hit clinical years with this kind of attitude you'll be toast. Lithium might not be a bad option for you.

listen i don't know who you are, nor do i care to read about you in other forums, but i haven't seen so much spite, agression, and PREJUDICE in a while.
in any case, it all comes back, it all truly does;)
best regards y'all. :)

listen i don't know who you are, nor do i care to read about you in other forums, but i haven't seen so much spite, agression, and PREJUDICE in a while.
in any case, it all comes back, it all truly does;)
best regards y'all. :)

then you should be the one who's worried.

Lisichka, we've been through this before on this forum :), but try not to take yourself or the jokes here too seriously. If you're patient and have a sense of humor, your question will get answered eventually.

Your history here more or less guarantees you some snarky replies. Honestly, relax and lurk a bit. The questions you asked today are discussed frequently.

I opened this thread just to see what kind of action a post about the typical work day could be getting. Thought I was missing something.

Should have known better- when a thread as boring as describing your typical work day gets 20 posts in a few hours, it's most likely a flame war.

:whistle:

dream machine -- love the plate.
lisichka -- there are strong personalities on this board and sense of humor and sarcasm are hard to portray while typing so take everyone with a grain of salt.... there is a suspicion here about newbies sometimes (be it crna militants or med students asking how much $, easy lifestyle, etc).
that said, to answer your original questions: in some groups and often in academia you come in late on call. call frequency varies from often, like one in three, to one in 25 to no call positions in pain and outpt surgery center jobs. anesthesia is highly variable but in general less call, less work = less pay.
if you are looking to work less and make more derm and rads are much better choices. anesthesia, despite common misconceptions, is not a lifestyle speciality....
pm me if you want.

I opened this thread just to see what kind of action a post about the typical work day could be getting. Thought I was missing something.

Should have known better- when a thread as boring as describing your typical work day gets 20 posts in a few hours, it's most likely a flame war.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: sooo true lol

Damn!!!!!

I've been waiting a week or so for that event, and to think I wasted it on such a useless post. I should have jumped into the flames. Burn out like Mil.

Yeah, that license plate is great. Is that a Maserati?

Alfa Romeo

Speaking of Alfa Romeo, when are the new ones going to debut in the states? I'm a Benz guy myself, but some of the Alfas look quite nice. I'd take one for a spin around the block.

yeah even www.edmunds.com doesn't have them listed. so you might only be able to get them if you import them yourself. which might not make it worth the money and effort.

My dearest foxie,

before asking questions which clearly point out that you are clueless about anesthesia, it is highly advisable to do some homework, then it won't be so obvious what are you looking for.

Consider derms, seriously ))))

Last edited:

Easy tiger - this thread was started by yours truly and is now priceless :laugh:

633632983376751842-rockbottom.jpg

still no takers?
OP/mod, please delete this thread. it's useless. doesn't have anything but insults. it really sucks :(

still no takers?
OP/mod, please delete this thread. it's useless. doesn't have anything but insults. it really sucks :(

Yeah, you can't just ask for a thread to be deleted. If you are the OP and ask really really nicely, it may happen.

You're not, and you didn't.

still no takers?
OP, please delete this thread. it's useless. doesn't have anything but insults. it really sucks :(

Helllloooooo. :rolleyes:

Typical Resident Day.

5:30am-6am = Get meds/Set up room
6am-6:45am = Pre-op if not already/mini lecture/start IV
7am = roll patient to OR
7:15am-noon = running cases with a 15min pee break.
Anywhere between 11:30am-1:30pm = 30 min lunch break.
1pm-5pm..or later = more cases with a 15min pee break (get paid extra for staying late/moonlighting at certain programs)
4pm-6pm = preop for next day, call attending about next day's cases

Call is usually Q 4-6 days depending on programs. 7am-next day's 7am (compared to 6am-next day's 12pm of surgery/medicine/peds). The rest of the post-call day is off.

Expect an avg of 10-12 hours/day + You have to be a morning person.

Try the search function for more info or the interview review.

Last edited:

Typical Resident Day.

7am = roll patient to OR
7:15am-noon = running cases with a 15min break.
1pm-5pm..or later = more cases with a 15min break (get paid extra for staying late/moonlighting at certain programs)

Call is Q 4 days. 7am-next day's 7am (compared to 6am-next day's 12pm of surgery/medicine/peds). The rest of the post-call day is off.

thank you:)

Typical Resident Day.

7am = roll patient to OR
7:15am-noon = running cases with a 15min pee break.
1pm-5pm..or later = more cases with a 15min pee break (get paid extra for staying late/moonlighting at certain programs)

Call is usually Q 4-6 days depending on programs. 7am-next day's 7am (compared to 6am-next day's 12pm of surgery/medicine/peds). The rest of the post-call day is off.

No f'ng way.

5:30 am- wake up (I'm kind of high maint., plus I don't go anywhere w/o my breffest)
6:30-6:45- get to hospital
7:30- first case
4:00- relieved by CRNA, do a couple pre-ops
5:00- home

Remember, bro, you coulda been here.

No f'ng way.

5:30 am- wake up (I'm kind of high maint., plus I don't go anywhere w/o my breffest)
6:30-6:45- get to hospital
7:30- first case
4:00- relieved by CRNA, do a couple pre-ops
5:00- home

Remember, bro, you coulda been here.

hehehe Bertelman, I know dude. Missing the IPA and haddock chowder when I was up there last year.

But I love the warm weather, sun and surf. hehe.

Above is an ESTIMATE of a "typical moderate program" schedule (ok, maybe more like a cardiac month)......lisch, when you advance through your CA years, you will get faster....need less time to prep/pre-op/lines/etc...

(above schedule is not necessary at my program, a hidden find by the sea). :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
still no takers?

:laugh: Right. We're going to delete an entire thread that has peacefully resided on the server, minding its own business, for three and a half years ... until you bumped it, got angry, and bought yourself some well-deserved snark.

You've dropped in on this forum before with this attitude. There have been multiple threads in which you rapidly and repeatedly took offense at every post that didn't spoon-feed you precisely the information you wanted, in the format you wanted, in your expected time frame.

I vaguely recall mocking you for it then; these days I try to be more polite. But again - your questions here have been answered, in this thread, and many others. I understand the search function is up and down lately due to server load issues. Use the googlebox in the top right until it's back. Be patient. Settle down.

Recognize and accept the fact that people here are going to remember your past behavior and may respond to you sarcastically. Welcome to teh internets. In time, if you turn down the crazy a notch or two, people will ease up.

We're here to help, but every once in a while you've got to reach for the spoon yourself.

:laugh: Right. We're going to delete an entire thread that has peacefully resided on the server, minding its own business, for three and a half years ... until you bumped it, got angry, and bought yourself some well-deserved snark.

You've dropped in on this forum before with this attitude. There have been multiple threads in which you rapidly and repeatedly took offense at every post that didn't spoon-feed you precisely the information you wanted, in the format you wanted, in your expected time frame.

I vaguely recall mocking you for it then; these days I try to be more polite. But again - your questions here have been answered, in this thread, and many others. I understand the search function is up and down lately due to server load issues. Use the googlebox in the top right until it's back. Be patient. Settle down.

Recognize and accept the fact that people here are going to remember your past behavior and may respond to you sarcastically. Welcome to teh internets. In time, if you turn down the crazy a notch or two, people will ease up.

We're here to help, but every once in a while you've got to reach for the spoon yourself.

what???:laugh: i have nooooooooooooooo idea what you're talking about. i must have a short memory span. going back to fishing and spooning.

My schedule as a resident varied a lot depending on the year, and the particular rotation I was on.

Typical main OR day as a CA-1
3:30 AM - get up, read
6:30 AM - at the hospital, do cases
4:00 PM - done with the cases, usually, do preops for next day
5:00 PM - call staff, talk about next day's cases
6:00 PM - home, goof off
8:00 PM - kids went to bed
8:03 PM - I went to bed

I couldn't effectively study at night until my kids went to bed, and by then I was tired, so I just shifted my days 3 hours earlier. I did ~2 hours of reading each morning like that for about 6 months of my CA-1 year and then let up.

Call days as a CA-1 and CA-2 were regular days, we just kept working overnight. As CA-3s we'd get pre-call days off and come in at 3:30 PM. Post-call days were always off. Usually 6-7 call days per month, two of which were weekend days.

Subspecialty rotations tended to start earlier and end later, except OB (which was pure shift work) and pain (which was clinic work). Work hours in the low 60s usually, except for subspecialty rotations.

As an attending now -

Navy job, variable. Usually 7-4. Commonly leave at 2. Call q3 or q4 from home. Cushy.

Civilian locums PP job. Busy. Today I was the late MD so started about 6:30 AM, cases all day, left about 7 PM.

what???:laugh: i have nooooooooooooooo idea what you're talking about. i must have a short memory span. going back to fishing and spooning.

Right now, I'm consumed by an inner conflict:
- frustration in not getting through to you despite my best efforts
- and awed wide-eyed dumbfoundedness at how obliviously self-unaware you are

Well, good luck with the fish!

Right now, I'm consumed by an inner conflict:
- frustration in not getting through to you despite my best efforts
- and awed wide-eyed dumbfoundedness at how obliviously self-unaware you are

Well, good luck with the fish!

thank you, pgg. you are getting through:smuggrin:.
it's awesome you got through all this with family/kids. i probably could never do this.
--lisichka.

p.s. i am self-unaware? really?

p.s. i am self-unaware? really?

Maybe it's just the language barrier, as I recall English isn't your native language ... but it seems like a lot of American idiom, subtle humor, and sarcasm (which isn't always mean) isn't registering with you.

In any case, we're always glad to have med students interested in anesthesia read and post here. Just (a) try to use the search and read the FAQs, and (b) don't get all snappy and upset when your questions aren't answered immediately or people mess with you.

Maybe it's just the language barrier, as I recall English isn't your native language ... but it seems like a lot of American idiom, subtle humor, and sarcasm (which isn't always mean) isn't registering with you.

In any case, we're always glad to have med students interested in anesthesia read and post here. Just (a) try to use the search and read the FAQs, and (b) don't get all snappy and upset when your questions aren't answered immediately or people mess with you.

gees, how many times was the "language card" brought up in this thread. i never stated anywhere anything about my language.

in any case,
peace.

My schedule as a resident varied a lot depending on the year, and the particular rotation I was on.

Typical main OR day as a CA-1
3:30 AM - get up, read
6:30 AM - at the hospital, do cases
4:00 PM - done with the cases, usually, do preops for next day
5:00 PM - call staff, talk about next day's cases
6:00 PM - home, goof off
8:00 PM - kids went to bed
8:03 PM - I went to bed

I couldn't effectively study at night until my kids went to bed, and by then I was tired, so I just shifted my days 3 hours earlier. I did ~2 hours of reading each morning like that for about 6 months of my CA-1 year and then let up.

Call days as a CA-1 and CA-2 were regular days, we just kept working overnight. As CA-3s we'd get pre-call days off and come in at 3:30 PM. Post-call days were always off. Usually 6-7 call days per month, two of which were weekend days.

Subspecialty rotations tended to start earlier and end later, except OB (which was pure shift work) and pain (which was clinic work). Work hours in the low 60s usually, except for subspecialty rotations.

As an attending now -

Navy job, variable. Usually 7-4. Commonly leave at 2. Call q3 or q4 from home. Cushy.

Civilian locums PP job. Busy. Today I was the late MD so started about 6:30 AM, cases all day, left about 7 PM.

>pgg: Not to subvert the OP's discussion, but it's very impressive that you got up at 3am to study.

May I ask what your study regimen was? Did you work through a copy of Miller (i.e. a chapter a day), or did you mostly read specifically on material relevant to prior / upcoming clinical cases?

>pgg: Not to subvert the OP's discussion, but it's very impressive that you got up at 3am to study.

May I ask what your study regimen was? Did you work through a copy of Miller (i.e. a chapter a day), or did you mostly read specifically on material relevant to prior / upcoming clinical cases?

Getting up at 3 was easy, the hard part was going to bed at 8 ...

I usually started by first reading about the coming day's cases, to prepare for the daily pimping. The rest of the time (most of it) was chapter reading and practice questions. Started off with Baby Miller, then M&M, then other books. When studying for tests, it was almost all old ITE question review with reading to understand each answer (since the key had no explanations), Big Blue, Hall. I went through Hall about 3 or 4 times by the time I was done with residency, always seemed to miss the same questions. One morning per week we had academics so I'd read the day's problem-based-learning case or about the grand rounds topic.

Looking back and reading this forum, where everybody has their own proven method, I think it's less about what you pick to read and more about doing something on almost every day.