Typical MS1/2 Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agirlwithdrdreams

Reaction score
Curious about what a typical schedule looks like for an MS1 or MS2. Both during covid and beforehand because who knows what it will look like when I am in medical school (hopefully starting fall 2022).

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools have their academic calendars online. Keep in mind that some 80-90% of students study at home instead of attending lecture (at least, that what it's like at my school) and only show up for labs/PBLs/TBLs and exams. So you basically make you own calendar.

Reactions: 1 user
No matter where you end up, you’ll study your butt off.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a screenshot of my schedule from this week. I'm a MS1 at a state school. Everything is on zoom except for our anatomy lab and clinic this weekend. Red is required Zoom events for all students, yellow indicates a live Zoom lecture, orange is a pre-recorded lecture, green is usually when something is due, dark blue is anatomy, light blue is required case of the week (which is more like case of the month), purple is our required weekly physician skills course (sometimes in person, sometimes not), and weekend dark blue is our student run free clinic. After each day around 6:00 there's usually optional meetings for student leadership, clubs, guest speakers, research groups, journal clubs, grand rounds, etc.

We average about 1/4 to 1/3 attendance at each Zoom lecture, sometimes less.

I should also note that our school likes to front-load us at the beginning of our blocks. Next week our schedule is a little lighter, and the following week is only like 1-2 hours each day, with an exam on Thursday or Friday. I don't think this material would look all that different if COVID wasn't a thing. It's still the same amount of material. I just get it from my computer instead of the lecture hall. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that this is very similar to what the MS2's are getting. However, they're all starting step prep now, and will enter dedicated study time in the next 1.5-2 months, during which the school will have nothing on their schedules.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.18.22 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
Currently in the midst of M1 at a school with a 1-year pre-clinical curriculum. We are completely virtual right now until March so while I have a calendar, for the most part I do things at my own pace. During the week we usually have 2-3 required zoom sessions (PBL and active learning), but otherwise most other things are optional. We have a quiz every other week and are currently in the middle of our GI/Endocrine/Repro block. All lectures are pre-recorded.
Capture.PNG

Here’s a sample week from when I was in the preclinical part of MS2 (we’re on a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum so I’m going into rotations now). The brown is all med school, the blue and white is a mix of ECs and IG stuff. The things in brown with asterisks are were mandatory and done over google hangouts (except the H&P which was in person at the sim center).

BBF2D7A3-A5A4-4EF8-9391-BD2109F6517E.png