Typical Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueLuxen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okie. what would you do and why?

I am not diligent
Do Not have passion for humanity
some what lazy
do not enjoy learning that much
I want money.
I am not too scared of working alot and the stress, but i am very scared of the competition- getting into med, into residency

competition i think will give me alot of stress
\
i was hearing about the stress vs the "worthness" of being a doctor.
some doctors say that if they had a another chance i wont do it
HMO taking the doctor's money and power
i like the position of being a doctor - no reason why.
its respectable
i want to have some sort of a social life, but it seems like this factor shouldnt matter somehow. ALthough i want it.
do not mind the work just give me some time to relax too.

Here. i see an option of quitting med, and doing optometry.

first- everyone will laugh at me saying medical school reject.

yes it is true i wont be able to get into medical, but im not doing this because i had no other choice.

not a very good pay. i will also take a second job i think.

i think its alot more stress-free life.

i dont want to regret not goin to med, but
besides the point of me not getting in if i did.

am interested in health care.

want to become a optometrist with a second job or go to medical school?

welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

DO NOT say anything about law business computer or money

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boy. Here comes a thrashing.

I recommend that you start on a steady diet of cheese and beer. That should solve your problem nicely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bahahahahahahha. GreatPumpkin, you said what I was thinking. I was actually cringing.

BlueLuxen, have you thought about running for the presidency?

what did i do..?

answer the question plz

BlueLuxen,
Why would you want to go to med school (or any school for that matter) if you: do not enjoy learning, don't like people, are lazy, and want money? Why optometry? I think you have to do some learning for that too. And you have to work with people.
rolleyes.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I am not diligent
some what lazy
I want money.•

You will make a terrible med student and doctor or optometrist with an attitude like this. If money and prestige as your main reasons for considering med school, do us all a favor consider something else.

------------------
Rob
http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

[This message has been edited by GreatPumpkin (edited April 13, 2001).]

Looks to me like you've got a promising career as a writer, or an English teacher.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Lord God:
Looks to me like you've got a promising career as a writer, or an English teacher.

Lord God has spoken, all tremble!

If anyone wants to be entertained go read the case study thread started by a premed called Tiffany in the Residencies folder, very humorous.

I think Blueluxen and Tiffany should get together and start their own medical school. Wouldn't that be great? (hint to Blueluxen and Tiffany this is SARCASM, can we say S-A-R-C.....)

blueLuxen, on the off chance this was a serious post, I would advise you to NOT apply to medical school. Not only can it be extremely competitive to get in, and competitive once you are there, but you should have some sort of driving motivation besides financial security (ie, money) otherwise you may not survive the rigorous training, and you most definitely will not be happy.

Maybe consider real estate.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by 8675309:
[If anyone wants to be entertained go read the case study thread started by a premed called Tiffany in the Residencies folder, very humorous.
[/B]•

That was very amusing. Thanks!

Wow, I can't believe I'm letting myself be drawn into this obvious flame bait but whatever at least its better than studying histology. I think that Tiffany and BlueLuxen come from the same place. A demented backwards world where up is down and left is right. Bizarro world if you will. Seriously, these are obviously pseudoidentities for some other posters on this site to inflame everybody else (unfortunately its working) Look at how BlueLuxen writes and compare it to Tiffany in the Residencies folder, me thinks something is amiss here.

[This message has been edited by 8675309 (edited April 13, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by blueLuxen:
Okie. what would you do and why?

I am not diligent
some what lazy
I want money.
I am not too scared of working alot and the stress, but i am very scared of the competition- getting into med, into residency

competition i think will give me alot of stress
\
i was hearing about the stress vs the "worthness" of being a doctor.
some doctors say that if they had a another chance i wont do it
HMO taking the doctor's money and power
i like the position of being a doctor - no reason why.
its respectable
i want to have some sort of a social life, but it seems like this factor shouldnt matter somehow. ALthough i want it.
do not mind the work just give me some time to relax too.

Here. i see an option of quitting med, and doing optometry.

first- everyone will laugh at me saying medical school reject.

yes it is true i wont be able to get into medical, but im not doing this because i had no other choice.

not a very good pay. i will also take a second job i think.

i think its alot more stress-free life.

i dont want to regret not goin to med, but
besides the point of me not getting in if i did.

am interested in health care.

want to become a optometrist with a second job or go to medical school?

welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

DO NOT say anything about law business computer or money

i think not everybody will agree with what i am saying but i think its fairly honest.

medicine is something special. many people have different reasons for going into medicine. many people love learning new things. many people love helping people. many people love simply working with people, families. some people love all three. others will tolerate one part, and go into medicine more for the 'science', become pathologists or radiologists or researchers. others are not big on the complex procedures and the science and dig the people aspect more, they might do primary care. still others love all three and may do some field which can give them both. these things are intangibles. you can't even ask a person why they love these things. they just know they do. they just know that when they learn something new, or work with kids, old people etc., it makes them feel thrilled, makes them feel good, makes them feel like they are in the right place for them.

then there are the tangibles. this is the monetary compensation and the 'respect' (it exists, no matter if you care about it or not).

the thing about the tangibles is that they are exchanged for something. you are getting that money and that 'respect' because you've worked yourself to the bone to get to where you are.

in the end,

"the tangibles" - "the work you've put in to get to where you are" = 0

so its all about the intangibles.

so if the intangibles are worthless to you, medicine is not for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE learn how to spell, people! For example, "alot" is "a lot". It's TWO words. This post isn't completely aimed at blueluxen because I'm not quite sure that his post was serious, but I have been noticing a lot of spelling mistakes like the one above in the forum. If you want to be a doctor, you really need to know how to spell and to use good grammar. Furthermore, if you write like you're in the second grade, no one is will want to listen to you.
If spelling is a problem for you, use a dictionary for words that you're not sure of (don't rely too much on your spell checker), and study a list of commonly misspelled words. I bet you can find one of these lists in a grammar book or online. So, start searching, and happy studying!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by StudyShy:
PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE learn how to spell, people! Furthermore, if you write like you're in the second grade, no one is will want to listen to you.

"is will want"

Where did you get that there grammar from?
wink.gif

Although this is my first post, I have been following this board for a while. Between this and the Tiffany thread, I must wonder if someone is just trying to ruffle some feathers. I think 8675309 might be on to something....
Great Pumpkin- I think you hit the target when you called for the thrashing.

------------------
Fortuna favet fortibus

I know when I first deciphered the post, I just couldn't believe it. I was not going to get in on the thrashing, but after the "what did I do? Plz answer the question." I just couldn't take it.

I had not read the Tiff post until today, wow, what a mess. I hope this doesn't get that out of hand. Likely this person is just trying to get us going.

Although I'm just an undergrad. On the serious note if the thought of becoming a physician does not interest you now then it really wont interest you when your tired from lack of sleep and exhausted from continuous studying(hearsay of course from what you experience when your in med and residency school) so maybe becoming a physician is not what you should focus on.

------------------
gynegirl

Yes, I laughed when I saw my mistake! How ironic! Just take out the "is", Jamier2. I do appreciate that you pointed my mistake out, and yes, I really need to proofread before I submit my reply. Sorry guys.

uhmm me and tiffany or whatever.. i have no relation with this person.. i wasnt trying to make a stir. i didnt even think many people would have replied to this post. BUt i was pretty damn serious. you are telling me all premeds are goin into medicine on purely on those reasons you guys have stated? actually no.. okie.. im the one of them. dont tell me you can get more money or respect doing something else, because you cant okie? business law? .. nope you guys got it mixed up.. so.. anyways..
didnt want to mix up anythign..

I am sure people go in to medicine for the money, but these are also the people who down the line will be very unhappy with their decision. Esp. since salaries have been decreasing and amount of work has been increasing for the last 10years or so. People that decide on medicine have at least 7 years of hard work at little to no pay, before they can even dream of a decent paycheck. And, anyone who admits to being "lazy" and "not interested in education", will not be happy with a career in medicine.

As for the money, careers in law, finance and business all can easily outperform a physician. Just look at what a vice pres or a CEO of even a small corp. makes these days. Or, a personal injury lawyer. There are very few physicians that can even come close to these salaries.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by StudyShy:
PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE learn how to spell, people! For example, "alot" is "a lot". It's TWO words.

Who cares if someone misspelles?

Doctors dont write worth a crap! I had the neatest handwriting before Med School. I always used white out if I made a mistake. Now I dont care, as long as I can read my own writing and get the point across that is all that matters.

There are more important things to worry about now. A grammatical error in a forum post? Kinda high school stuff.
A grammatical error in a prescription...now that is something to worry about!!

------------------
~Pegasus~

Blueluxen,
Yes, I think you would make a GREAT med school student. People who are in it for the money know exactly what they want...that's awesome! In fact, go ahead and call the admissions officers of the schools you want to apply to and tell them exactly what you told us. If they are impressed as I am, they will surely accept you on the spot. Good luck. I hope I am lucky enough to have someone like you operating on me. I would be more than happy to hand over a check to you even if you admit you don't care much for a patient's wellbeing.

Phil

Boy, do I hate to get involved in these spats. Sometimes, spelling and grammar are a matter of pride and an exhibit of competence. That's all. I have noticed error after error and let it go, even though it makes people look MUCH less intelligent than they are. I apologize if I offended anyone here.