Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Typical work hours of residents

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NJHopeful, Aug 29, 1999.

1. NJHopeful

NJHopeful Junior Member

Hi Dr. Henderson!

Thank you very much for your encouraging reply to my last post. I am in the process of investigating schools and post-bac programs.

I do have a question for you, though...How many hours/week is a resident expected to work? As you know I have a family and I want to know what to expect down the road.

Thanks!
    NJ Hopeful

PS: Hope Jenny finds the Sidelines information useful. Congratulations and best wishes :).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jim Henderson

It varies based upon the type of residency and from program to program.

Call ranges from every 3 nights the first year in some residencies to infrequently as once a month on average as a senior. Last year, as a first year resident, the most I worked in one week was 7 12 hour days plus 2 calls with no sleep equating to about 108 hours. That wasn't very fun. The least I worked was 40. I probably averaged 60 - 70 per week.

------------------
    Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net
    http://www.medicalstudent.net

4. Little River

Little River New Member

Dear NJHopeful,

I was wondering if you would please share with us how to volunteer with the Sidelines program you mentioned previously? I would be very interested in this.

Thank you so much.

5. NJHopeful

NJHopeful Junior Member

Hi Little River,
    Check out the website:
    Sidelines National Support Network http://www.sidelines.org
    "Helping families cope with a high-risk pregnancy"

-NJHopeful

6. almasque

almasque Member

Keep in mind, most everyone who has endured the medical education process has equated their first year of residency (internship) as the most strenuous and challenging time. A good friend of mine who is now an internist equated difficulty of undergraduate studies as a 4-5 (on a scale of 10), med school 8-9, and internship as a 10. He said actual doctoring is about a 6. Of course that is one opinion. Hope this helps.