Typical work hours of residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr. Henderson!

Thank you very much for your encouraging reply to my last post. I am in the process of investigating schools and post-bac programs.

I do have a question for you, though...How many hours/week is a resident expected to work? As you know I have a family and I want to know what to expect down the road.

Thanks!
NJ Hopeful

PS: Hope Jenny finds the Sidelines information useful. Congratulations and best wishes :).

Members don't see this ad.

It varies based upon the type of residency and from program to program.

Call ranges from every 3 nights the first year in some residencies to infrequently as once a month on average as a senior. Last year, as a first year resident, the most I worked in one week was 7 12 hour days plus 2 calls with no sleep equating to about 108 hours. That wasn't very fun. The least I worked was 40. I probably averaged 60 - 70 per week.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net
http://www.medicalstudent.net

Dear NJHopeful,

I was wondering if you would please share with us how to volunteer with the Sidelines program you mentioned previously? I would be very interested in this.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Little River,
Check out the website:
Sidelines National Support Network http://www.sidelines.org
"Helping families cope with a high-risk pregnancy"

-NJHopeful

Keep in mind, most everyone who has endured the medical education process has equated their first year of residency (internship) as the most strenuous and challenging time. A good friend of mine who is now an internist equated difficulty of undergraduate studies as a 4-5 (on a scale of 10), med school 8-9, and internship as a 10. He said actual doctoring is about a 6. Of course that is one opinion. Hope this helps.