Typo on my CAF/CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam_K

Indentured
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out from a program that I have a typo on my completed CAF/CV. It lists my previous full time job overlapping with medical school by one year. Oops.

My only saving grace is that I correctly entered the reason for leaving: "Matriculated into medical school" and "Employment continued until medical school" under the description.

Anybody know if there is any chance at having this corrected by ERAS? I know what their policy says, so please don't repost it. Also, please don't post that I should have caught this ahead of time. I checked it a half a zillion times before pressing send and even had a buddy of mine check it. We both missed it.

Damn.

Members don't see this ad.

Just found out from a program that I have a typo on my completed CAF/CV. It lists my previous full time job overlapping with medical school by one year. Oops.

My only saving grace is that I correctly entered the reason for leaving: "Matriculated into medical school" and "Employment continued until medical school" under the description.

Anybody know if there is any chance at having this corrected by ERAS? I know what their policy says, so please don't repost it. Also, please don't post that I should have caught this ahead of time. I checked it a half a zillion times before pressing send and even had a buddy of mine check it. We both missed it.

Damn.

I dont think you can undo anything on the CAF, once submitted.

One of my friends entered "NO" to the Q "will your school send MSPE?"
He did not know MSPE=Dean's letter.

I dont think you can undo anything on the CAF, once submitted.

One of my friends entered "NO" to the Q "will your school send MSPE?"
He did not know MSPE=Dean's letter.

Strange, I didnt have that question!!

I think maybe IMGs only get asked that question, as all US schools provide an MSPE.

once submitted, there isn't anything you can do. dont worry about it though, i know a lot of people who found errors once it was in. my bf put the wrong graduation date, and really confused a couple of programs ... oops:rolleyes: i'm sure programs are used to running into errors on our applications. no matter how many times i looked it over, i kept finding little things that i needed to change.

Just found out from a program that I have a typo on my completed CAF/CV...
I'd like to know too... My CAF and CV both state that I've been a doctor for the past 4 years, even though I'm only a 4th med student. Even my interview invites are addressed to "____ ________,D.O." At least my "Dates Attended" are correct. :confused:

Unfortunately, I don't think you can change it either. But, I also would NOT worry. Programs will figure out it was a mistake. No big deal. I am sure I have typos, etc. I did on my med scool app, and I into med school ok. ERAS doesn't make it easy for you to check your work either. The software could use some work!

I bet I have mistakes, too, but I have been afraid to re-read it after I certified. So, I guess I'll never know unless I get rejected by everyone. ;)

Just a question, because I am curious.... when you said a program notified you of the mistake... did they literally send you a personal email about it?

Strange, I didnt have that question!!

PS - I second that! I don't remember having that question on my ERAS app either?!? weird.

So you are saying the ERAS application is different for IMGs? I dont think so...because I read the same 40 pg instructions b4 applying.
I think the only thing different on the CAF for IMGs is the top of Page 12, Miscellaneous, where it specifically mentions, "Will you or your medical school provide a MSPE to the ERAS Documents office at ECFMG."

Just a question, because I am curious.... when you said a program notified you of the mistake... did they literally send you a personal email about it?

Sort of. They asked me about what I had been doing between MM/YYYY and MM/YYYY, because they had a gap in my record. :eek:

Initially, I couldn't figure it out because those dates clearly overlap with medical school and they are clearly listed. :confused:

Then I went back to look at my CAF and found that the end date for my job overlapped with the first year of medical school. So, I figured that's how they thought there was a gap. Or they are using some sort of software that flags this as an error.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'm going to try to explain my error to them now.

Answer to Adam_K's original Q:
How about writing a brief personal statement about the typo or the mistake you made in the CAF and then releasing the PS to that program only???

Actually, i was given this idea by ECFMG, I asked them for the following reason:
As my CAF still says that "I will take Step-2 CS" actually i have taken the CS two weeks ago, obviously i took the CS after submitting the CAF. When i asked ECFMG is there any way i could change it to "waiting for result" they told to write a brief PS and release it to all programs i have applied for. Should i do this ????
Just FYI: I am a FMG with scores of 88 and 90, but there is a gap of 6 plus years, because of family and kids birth, no US clinical exp, just doing an Obervership right now. The reason i am telling this is: "Will take CS" or "Waiting for results for CS" makes a big diff for FMG with above barriers. Please feel free to response.
Thanks!!