Co-first author on a paper, can you switch order on CV and ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skol926

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you co-first author a paper, but the journal lists your name second on the official publication despite indicating co-author status, is it ethical to switch the order of their listing to put your name first on your CV or ERAS application? Of course, I would still indicate co-first author status, but just list my name first. Technically we are both first authors, I just wouldn't want this to be seen as deceitful. Also wouldn't want a co-first author paper to be mistakenly viewed as second author though...

Members don't see this ad.

There's no such thing. There is a first author and a senior author. Senior author should be listed last. Whoever came up with the idea and wrote the first manuscript should be listed first.

If you provided equal work it is often alphabetically listed. You might have provided "an equal amount of work." If so, there better be a superscript on the paper saying as much.

Either way it's not the biggest deal.

TPP

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

If you co-first author a paper, but the journal lists your name second on the official publication despite indicating co-author status, is it ethical to switch the order of their listing to put your name first on your CV or ERAS application? Technically we are both first authors, I just wouldn't want this to be seen as deceitful. Also wouldn't want a co-first author paper to be mistakenly viewed as second author though...
If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.

And just in case you don’t...f*** no it’s not ethical to switch the order.
I think you misunderstood my question/ I didn't ask clearly enough, I'm obviously not talking about switching order on a normal publication. We are co-first authors and contributed equally, and the article denotes this. The co-author's name just happens to appear before mine on the article because I think the journal list co-authors alphabetically, but it is clearly indicated we share first-authorship. I can't post links, but there are plenty of examples in every journal where this happens and there are big denotations on the first two authors and a notice saying they contributed equally.
So for my CV or ERAS, am I allowed to just list my name first, if I also indicated that myself and the other author share co-first authorship?

I also provided an example below in my other response

There's no such thing. There is a first author and a senior author. Senior author should be listed last. Whoever came up with the idea and wrote the first manuscript should be listed first.

If you provided equal work it is often alphabetically listed. You might have provided "an equal amount of work." If so, there better be a superscript on the paper saying as much.

Either way it's not the biggest deal.

TPP

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
There are definitely cases of co-first authorship in every type of journal from open access to Nature. It is quite common actually. I'm not talking about senior author. There are 4 names on the paper and it looks something like this on the printed article

Fake Article Name
Bob Adams*, Sam Smith*, Charles Davis, Doug Winter
*Bob Adams and Sam Smith contributed equally to this work

So is Sam Smith in this scenario able to list his name first on his CV, if he includes the co-authorship denotation?

Hate to say this but there can only be one “first” author.

I think you misunderstood my question/ I didn't ask clearly enough, I'm obviously not talking about switching order on a normal publication. We are co-first authors and contributed equally, and the article denotes this. The co-author's name just happens to appear before mine on the article because I think the journal list co-authors alphabetically, but it is clearly indicated we share first-authorship. I can't post links, but there are plenty of examples in every journal where this happens and there are big denotations on the first two authors and a notice saying they contributed equally.
So for my CV or ERAS, am I allowed to just list my name first, if I also indicated that myself and the other author share co-first authorship?

I also provided an example below in my other response
I understood you quite clearly. I am well aware of the trend to have "co first authors" on papers. My answer however is exactly the same. You are welcome to ignore the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I understood you quite clearly. I am well aware of the trend to have "co first authors" on papers. My answer however is exactly the same. You are welcome to ignore the advice.
Thanks! I saw it posted in other threads without a clear answer given so I didn't realize it was so cut and dry to require a **** no. Guess I ended up on the wrong side of the co-first spot and will list as is

Thanks! I saw it posted in other threads without a clear answer given so I didn't realize it was so cut and dry to require a **** no. Guess I ended up on the wrong side of the co-first spot and will list as is
Co-first authors and co-last authors are being more and more common, but it is still something many people are not aware of. Many PD won't understand it. But it is NOT OK to switch the position. I guess the better method is to * your name, like below:

*Name1, *Name2.......
*equal contribution

This really isn't something you should get worked up about. I disagree with the poster above, a PD is familiar enough with the nuances of publications that they know what "co-first author means."

You should list the reference exactly as it appears in PubMed. It's not ethical to change it to make yourself look better, and worst case scenario you DO get a PD who doesn't know what you mean by "co-first author" and thinks you're being dishonest.