U Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Res-J

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get through to them by phone? I haven't heard a peep from them.

Members don't see this ad.

I've spoken with them a couple of times to confirm receipt of application materials. Didn't ask about interview scheduling, though. Guess they're slow.

Last year they were very slow and very disorganized. It was very difficult to get through to the secretary, and both voicemail messages and e-mails would go unreturned. I believe they were the last to send out interview invites. Eventually with one issue I just called Jose (the director) directly.

I don't know that they hired any additional help so I bet it's the same this year. Northwestern was the same way, but they hired an additional office staff member, so I bet they're better this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
These people are impossible to get through to. I haven't even got a notice whether my application there is complete. The only thing I ever got from them was that little yellow postcard-like mailing to submit the secondary.

agreed with neuronix - though i had application materials in around early september, i only recieved an interview for sometime in march - by that time i had been done interviewing for months, and had been to some revisits. others i'm sure had different expriences; and the program actually has an really great track record [just check out the list of hhmi investigators that are md/phd - it's surprising how many are from uchicago]. stick it out if you like the school - but you might be in for a wait.

Habari's perception of Pritkzer has been completely transformed by how many HHMI there are from Pritzker's MSTP...:)

I personally don't value HHMI that much. Jealousy aside, they don't actually follow specific diciplines. What commonly happens is that people get one, and then their PhD student turned assistant professor get one so on and so forth. It's very network/connection oriented. So, the corollary is that if you are HHMI, it probably means that you are big, but if you are not HHMI, it doesn't mean that you are small. (This is especially true for clinical/system/physiology, HHMI has a very disturbingly low proportion of these people...just about everyone's running gels)

Originally posted by sluox
...just about everyone's running gels

GELS ARE A FORM OF ART!!!

With a proper mix of BSA, voltage, running time and buffer I can easily create anything from abstract art to an english fox-hunt scene. Originals are going for 10-25K! (Put your orders in soon!)