U.Florida vs. U.Pitt vs. BIDMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venus21pam

Freakin' peachy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I know all three programs are supposedly very good but could someone clue me in on the details - like which one is better in what and where the reputation places them on the list etc.
I'm having the hardest time ranking those three. I liked all of them and I don't have a geographic preference so I'm stuck...
Please help...

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I know all three programs are supposedly very good but could someone clue me in on the details - like which one is better in what and where the reputation places them on the list etc.
I'm having the hardest time ranking those three. I liked all of them and I don't have a geographic preference so I'm stuck...
Please help...

I don't understand what you are asking. Didn't you go to the interviews? Aren't your own opinions the ones that matter? If you didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling about these programs, then I hope they are towards the bottom of your list. For my top 3 I just knew. Just pick them in the order where you feel you fit in the most. Who cares about what other people think about them.

Well, if only it was that easy!
I liked all three and I got a good vibe from all of them.
I have my top two and I'm not touching those. These three programs would be numbers 3-5 on my list so it's still high enough to be important how I rank them.
My husband says I should flip a coin :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the way you have it... UF, then BI, then UPMC/PITT... best of luck :luck:

-AW81 :thumbup:

i think you get a bit of a stronger name with the BI program vs the UF or UPITT...in terms of work atmosphere, i heard BI is great...UF has good month to month schedule in terms of call. BI is fairly good in that area as well--in terms of decent hours

i think you get a bit of a stronger name with the BI program vs the UF or UPITT...in terms of work atmosphere, i heard BI is great...UF has good month to month schedule in terms of call. BI is fairly good in that area as well--in terms of decent hours

i agree about the harvard name, but BID may not carry the weight of MGH or the brigham. one more thing - i'm not sure if everyone appreciates how cush UPitt is (if that's what you're looking for). usually on call, you come in at 3pm. i have two friends who are residents there, and they are always out on the town, having a good time. combined with top 10 NIH funding and at least a certain degree of name recognition, you could do worse.

boston does probably top pgh as far as cities, though.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your remarks.
Right now it's BID > UPITT > UFL
Taking different things into consideration I decided to rank in that order.

Interestingly enough I interviewed at Mass General but I didn't like it as much as BID. I'm actually ranking them like #6 on my list. Is that a stupid thing to do???
I mean it is MGH after all...

About MGH: I interviewed there too, and liked the program, but some of the people did bother me (esp the PD)...I'm not ranking it tops, nor are a lot of other ppl I talked with. Nothing is more important than the people and location, therefore I"m placing Penn #1 (best PD I've met, in a city I love).

I'm ranking MGH #3 or #4 for the same reasons you had concerns about MGH.

bes tof luck :luck:

-AW81 :thumbup:

I ranked BIDMC higher than MGH for the same reason. My gut was that I was going to be with a more cohesive group with better mentorship -- the reputation also is that MGH gives less spoon feeding type teaching -- I personally wanted to be taught in a more deliberate structure. Alot of the MGH residents are very accomplished already and thus I think there is less pressure for a very organized/structured teaching program.
Purely subjective. Just my 2 Abes.
OB

I ranked BIDMC higher than MGH for the same reason. My gut was that I was going to be with a more cohesive group with better mentorship -- the reputation also is that MGH gives less spoon feeding type teaching -- I personally wanted to be taught in a more deliberate structure. Alot of the MGH residents are very accomplished already and thus I think there is less pressure for a very organized/structured teaching program.
Purely subjective. Just my 2 Abes.
OB

I agree 100%. I don't think I would feel comfortable in a group where I would have to play catch up game all the time.
It's interesting to see that a lot of people had similar impressions about MGH.

Oh well, I still have one full day to change my mind about my list.
Anyone else having doubts and feeling the pressure at this point?:confused: