U IOWA Secondary !!HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilMissDrDoolittle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I am a little late in the process but I was wondering for you guys that did UI secondary do your profs actually have to do the IEFs. Can they just send a letter instead. what a hassle. Did you just send three or can you send more than that?

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa specifies the use of their forms. Hassle or not, give them what they want. Applying to medical school is always a hassle of one kind or another. They have something you want, you have nothing they need; they will fill the class without you. If you can't be bothered, so be it.
Although I write with a very direct style, this is NOT intended to be nasty to you, just to remind you of the probable consequence of ignoring instructions. Good luck.

Can you send the 3 IEFs and then send additional Letters of rec?

Members don't see this ad :)
The committee advisor at my school said she had dealt with them before, and thought just the committee letter EIF (it's different than the ones ind. prof.s get) was fine, but she wasn't 100% sure. I went ahead and filled out the 3 required fields on the EIF page, 1 committee, 2 individuals, printed them, and gave them to my advisor. She said she would call and if they absolutely needed the 2 independent EIFs, she would give them to the 2 ind. prof.s I designated and include them with my packet. Also, my advisor said the committee letter, and all attached ind. letters of rec count as one letter, so there's your door to get more than 3 in.

I am pretty sure you have to do the IEF's. A committee or composite letter can only take the place of one IEF.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with Keith.

I know it's a hastle, but it's worth it =)

sc is correct. You have to submit 2 IEFs, and a letter packet can take the place of a third.

sorry you guys one more question about this secondary. When you print the IEFs, do the instructions for your professor say

Dear Dr. so and so:

(nothing) has applied to the U of Iowa etc. (leaving out your name)

just want to make sure its not a prob with my computer

No, when I printed mine out it had my name on it. If yours doesn't, there is something wrong. Try it again on another computer. If it still doesn't work, I'd just call the school and ask if you could write your name in the blank space. I doubt if it's a big deal, but I'd call and ask, because maybe their program has a bug in it they need to fix...