U Miami - Jackson Memorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manwhoisthursdy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with their general psych program? My search on SDN didn't turn up much.

I hope the program would be a good fit for me, because I'd love to live in Miami!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone familiar with their general psych program? My search on SDN didn't turn up much.

I hope the program would be a good fit for me, because I'd love to live in Miami!

thanks

I'm sure someone is going to be upset that I posted this. I did an observership there and I found the program to really be less than par. The entire faculty is so uptight from the program coordinator (textbook borderline pd) to the program director. Teaching is non existant and totally dependent on you. You are basically working all the time and no attention is given to your education. It was a real let down!!

Because it is in Miami, they are never short for people wanting a rotation there, but I heard they work all of their residents really hard (not just psych), though I can't speak to the quality of the training. I know this is also the case for their clinical interns/post-docs.

I know this has been asked before, hopefully a current person can post.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also really interested in input about this program....i just got an interview invite and it was pretty high on my list. talking to some people though and the little bit here on SDN, i've only heard bad things. anyone have good experiences? (bad experiences are helpful too!)

I'm also really interested in input about this program....i just got an interview invite and it was pretty high on my list. talking to some people though and the little bit here on SDN, i've only heard bad things. anyone have good experiences? (bad experiences are helpful too!)

I've also had a really close friend that graduated from there program. She was complaining about there call schedule and how if you spoke out about anything that bothered you in the program you would be "punished" in some indirect way. I thought she was just complaining all the time because residencies are supposed to be hard in general. So thats why I did the elective. I was really bummed while I was there because my entire family lives 10 minutes from the hospital and I really wanted to be close to home but after my elective I promised myself that I wouldnt even apply there. There are so many better programs than UM. If you ask any resident why they chose the place they will never tell you that it was because of the program it is always about some illusion they have about how great it would be to live in Miami...

I hope this feedback is helpful. Oh yeah, I also remember that the residents told me that when you interview if you dont come from a great program or dont have really high board scores you will actually only interview with residents and not even attendings. People from great programs and high numbers interview with the program director himself.

Good luck

Thanks for all your feedback. It is really great to have negative feedback if that's your experience, so don't think I don't appreciate it.

But .... does *anyone* have good experience with the program? I guess if the program is that problematic, I should be happy to know it now.

i appreciate the feedback too....it's disappointing but good to have the news...also wondering if anyone has had a good experience....

Setting the record straight about UMiami-Jackson Psychiatry

Ok so here's the deal.

First off, don't apply here unless you're fluent in Spanish or unless you have a VERY compelling reason to be in south Florida because 60% of the patients are Spanish speakers. If you don't speak Spanish fluently you'll spend most of your time hanging around on the ward waiting for a translator for to do an H and P and MSE on a woman with post partum depression while the attending will be wondering where the hell you are.

In Internal medicine you can get by with "survival Spanish" but in Psychiatry patients need fluent physicians who can assess "loosening of associations" and appropriateness of language which are subtle assessments (not to mention accurate suicidality assessments--an Hispanic patient recently committed suicide after being seen in the hospital. Would YOU like to be the lucky intern who "took some college Spanish and spent a semester in Madrid" and assessed the guy on "survival Spanish"?? I think not. If you go to UMiami, you'll need to assess suicidality in Latinos on a daily basis.)

Secondly, when you guys get out there interviewing, you'll learn that there is a continuum between "service-driven" programs and "teaching-driven" programs. UM-Jackson falls towards the service-driven end, meaning that residents work more than they sit in lecture. It's good and bad, I guess; some think that "volume" of patients is more valuable than didactics. A point well taken so here's a litmus test:

-----if you go on any interview and you ask "So do you residents feel that you get enough teaching?" and the resident avoids the question but answers "Well, you'll get teaching but in this program you'll see so many patients that when you finish you'll be able to handle anything"--you've just been tipped off that he's working in a service-driven program.

Problems with attendings or with other residents are handled fairly well, I have to say. There's an excellent Union and the Union Reps (who are the chief residents) are super open and helpful. One new attending was working the balls off the interns, and the interns complained to the Reps and within 3 weeks the situation was handled well with no fear of reprisal or "pay-back". The Union Reps were VERY protective of the newer residents and inspire trust.

When I interviewed at UMiami-Jackson there were 5 of us that day. Everyone interviewed with the P.D. and with at least one attending and then an informal "lunch interview" with a resident. I went on 12 psych interviews and I think the UMiami one was pretty much like all the others.

About the Program Director and P. Coordinator: no comment.

Call schedule year 1 is about q6 and year 2 is about q5. There is a month of night float year 1 and 2 months of night float year 2. Years 3 and 4 are much mellower and most residents chill out and moonlight those years.

I compared a lot of programs and I'd say UMiami is average--work oriented, not too much teaching, pretty happy residents most of whom are Latinos (or UM grads). You work your ass off 2nd year and you see LOTS of patients.

A Note About Miami and Psychiatry: Miami has gotten expensive for living and is saturated with psychiatrists so most graduates move North to look for jobs/practices. Most of the residents in other specialties (Neuro, Internal, Peds) are lured to Miami and its Beaches for residency but soon decide it's not a good place to work/set up practice and end up moving away also.

IN SUMMATION: Work oriented program, heavy patient load, light on the teaching, very cool (and mostly Hispanic) residents, NOT a great area to settle for Psych practice, excellent exposure to wide range of pathology, excellent support from more senior residents, attendings are hit-and-miss.

More questions PM me.

Cheers
CaetanoMD

Setting the record straight about UMiami-Jackson Psychiatry

Ok so here's the deal.

First off, don't apply here unless you're fluent in Spanish or unless you have a VERY compelling reason to be in south Florida because 60% of the patients are Spanish speakers. If you don't speak Spanish fluently you'll spend most of your time hanging around on the ward waiting for a translator for to do an H and P and MSE on a woman with post partum depression while the attending will be wondering where the hell you are.

In Internal medicine you can get by with "survival Spanish" but in Psychiatry patients need fluent physicians who can assess "loosening of associations" and appropriateness of language which are subtle assessments (not to mention accurate suicidality assessments--an Hispanic patient recently committed suicide after being seen in the hospital. Would YOU like to be the lucky intern who "took some college Spanish and spent a semester in Madrid" and assessed the guy on "survival Spanish"?? I think not. If you go to UMiami, you'll need to assess suicidality in Latinos on a daily basis.)

Secondly, when you guys get out there interviewing, you'll learn that there is a continuum between "service-driven" programs and "teaching-driven" programs. UM-Jackson falls towards the service-driven end, meaning that residents work more than they sit in lecture. It's good and bad, I guess; some think that "volume" of patients is more valuable than didactics. A point well taken so here's a litmus test:

-----if you go on any interview and you ask "So do you residents feel that you get enough teaching?" and the resident avoids the question but answers "Well, you'll get teaching but in this program you'll see so many patients that when you finish you'll be able to handle anything"--you've just been tipped off that he's working in a service-driven program.

Problems with attendings or with other residents are handled fairly well, I have to say. There's an excellent Union and the Union Reps (who are the chief residents) are super open and helpful. One new attending was working the balls off the interns, and the interns complained to the Reps and within 3 weeks the situation was handled well with no fear of reprisal or "pay-back". The Union Reps were VERY protective of the newer residents and inspire trust.

When I interviewed at UMiami-Jackson there were 5 of us that day. Everyone interviewed with the P.D. and with at least one attending and then an informal "lunch interview" with a resident. I went on 12 psych interviews and I think the UMiami one was pretty much like all the others.

About the Program Director and P. Coordinator: no comment.

Call schedule year 1 is about q6 and year 2 is about q5. There is a month of night float year 1 and 2 months of night float year 2. Years 3 and 4 are much mellower and most residents chill out and moonlight those years.

I compared a lot of programs and I'd say UMiami is average--work oriented, not too much teaching, pretty happy residents most of whom are Latinos (or UM grads). You work your ass off 2nd year and you see LOTS of patients.

A Note About Miami and Psychiatry: Miami has gotten expensive for living and is saturated with psychiatrists so most graduates move North to look for jobs/practices. Most of the residents in other specialties (Neuro, Internal, Peds) are lured to Miami and its Beaches for residency but soon decide it's not a good place to work/set up practice and end up moving away also.

IN SUMMATION: Work oriented program, heavy patient load, light on the teaching, very cool (and mostly Hispanic) residents, NOT a great area to settle for Psych practice, excellent exposure to wide range of pathology, excellent support from more senior residents, attendings are hit-and-miss.

More questions PM me.

Cheers
CaetanoMD

Hi Caetano or anyone else who is familiar with UM's psych program,

I know most people are putting UF over UM in terms of Florida's programs, but since my family is in South Florida and I personally love it down there and would want to settle down there, I'd love to do my residency training at UM (despite all the flaws of the program listed). I have 2 major concerns though. While I am working on my Spanish (particularly Med Spanish) by reading and listening to key phrases, I'm wondering how I can get best get up to speed to be able to handle the up to 50% latino, fluent Spanish speaking population at JMH. I would LOVE to be able to handle this without translators, and I have some time since I'm a MSIII now, but just want to hear from fellow SDN'ers any specific tips on how I may best get my Spanish to where it needs to be to be able to be able to handle my own without tranlslators or a language barrier slowin me down/not allowin me to get the whole story. Ideally, I think I need to be able to have oral conversations in Spanish at full speed BEFORE starting residency right? Any tips on how I can do this without just askin my Spanish-speaking friends (who I'm sure may get really annoyed by this)?

Also, does anyone know how are the Child & Adolescent Psych, C/L, Addictions, and Forensics fellowships at UM? I plan on pursuing CAP, but any info on the quality of these fellowships would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone!

While I am working on my Spanish (particularly Med Spanish) by reading and listening to key phrases, I'm wondering how I can get best get up to speed to be able to handle the up to 50% latino, fluent Spanish speaking population at JMH. I would LOVE to be able to handle this without translators, and I have some time since I'm a MSIII now, but just want to hear from fellow SDN'ers any specific tips on how I may best get my Spanish to where it needs to be to be able to be able to handle my own without tranlslators or a language barrier slowin me down/not allowin me to get the whole story.
Personally, I think that if you're a learned-in-high-school/college kind of language speaker, you should plan on using interpreters (translators are for written material). Four years of Spanish plus a medical Spanish course is probably fine for the ED, but for a good psych evaluation, I'd be hesitant about anything less than fluency. A good/accurate MSE can be challenging enough to get right working in your first language.

I did an eval of my experience at Jackson Memorial in the Interview Review thread and liked it there. I don't think working with the interpreters is a problem there. More residents I met are not native Spanish speakers than are. Since this thread was started, they have a new PD with big ideas, so you might find a different program than the one being described here by the time you interview.