u mich wait list- what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumpers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that U Mich actually rejects some of the interviewees if they have no chance. Does that mean that we actually have much of a chance if we are waitlisted. also, how does the process work. on may 15th do we have to pick one and let the other schools know that we are not really interested. if so, is that the day that all of the schools start to scramble and take students off of the waitlist. finally- i have seen some thread that had the percentages of students who get in after interviews at the various schools- and the percentage waitlisted. anyone have that info or the url for that thread?

Members don't see this ad.

why the bump. are you in my boat

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know your Michigan waitlist chances. After April 1, you can call the office and get your ranking. Just hang on a couple weeks! :thumbup:

May 15 is indeed the start of significant movement on most waitlists.

does anyone know what the number on the waiting list means. how many people get in off a michigan waitlist in a year- more or less. what i mean is- where do i have to be to have a chance in hell

Hey U Mich'ers,

On a related note, does anyone happen to know if U Mich is completely finished interviewing. Or am I just waiting for an inevitable mass mailing to come.

arisunomori said:
Hey U Mich'ers,

On a related note, does anyone happen to know if U Mich is completely finished interviewing. Or am I just waiting for an inevitable mass mailing to come.

I think you, like myself, are waiting for the mass rejection. I called and spoke with Admissions last Wednesday, and they told me that the last interview day was Friday, March 11th. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I noticed on a related thread that movement on the Michigan wait list begins the 20th of May. If someone notifies them next week that they are taking back an acceptance, anyone know why they wait two months to take someone off the top of the list? we know they have prioritized the list by April 1st and that they have finished interviewing

mumpers said:
I noticed on a related thread that movement on the Michigan wait list begins the 20th of May. If someone notifies them next week that they are taking back an acceptance, anyone know why they wait two months to take someone off the top of the list? we know they have prioritized the list by April 1st and that they have finished interviewing

Most schools actually accept MORE people than they have spots for. This goes counter to what I used to think, that they would only have as many 'active' accpetances at one time that matched their class numbers. Soooo even though Mich has 170 spots, they might have accepted like 300 people. This is what they expect based on past trends. So one person dropping out wouldn't mean they take someone off the waitlist.

Now, on May 15th, people have to choose one school. So they get down to how many people actually are going. That's when they know exactly how many people they need off the waitlist.

That makes total sense. We are allowed to call anytime after April 1st to find out where we are on the wait list. Since its so far in advance of May 15th- do you think they will have an accurate idea of what our chances are- even if we are near the top? Given what you said about taking more than the number of people in a class to take into acct the turn down factor, they probably have no realistic idea of what the spot on the wait list really means- other than wildly annecdotal evidence from years past. oh well, i can see its going to be a while before i really know where i am going next year. i just hate the idea of getting totally focused on one school, in a different city- lining up housing, roommates etc and then hearing (if i'm lucky i guess) three weeks before school that i have my top choice. i know so many kids who just stay with what they have at that point- it must be so tempting not to turn yourself upside down so late in the game.......

i found out that i'm in the top group. i thought i read somewhere that the top group gets in (or has the in past) and the middle group is mixed- some make it and some don't. anyone have any real data on this?

This is what Ive heard THROUGH RUMOURS...

UMich likes to replace those who turn them down with similiar canidates- a specific URM/sex with another, maybe from a specific school to or state?

hmm

No real data I guess (thus this post is entirely unhelpful and can be ignored as completely anecdotal...nonetheless I continue)

but I know the waitlist for umich is large (I believe approximately 300 people) and that the waitlist DOES move (usually it doesnt vary too too much from year to year) and moves considerably. So if say as many as 60 people come off ( which would be a lot, right) that is still small relative to the size of the waitlist. Also, they do accept many more than they would ideally want the class size to be.

Now after that completely depressing crap, just remember that 1) lots of people are holding multiple acceptances and will withdraw in may, 2) the w/l is known to move a lot at umich, 3) even though the relative percentage of people coming off might be low, all cantidates are not equal (so keep updating your app and showing interest because lots of people just give up).

blah. Im done with my meaningless spiel.
Good luck.