U Michigan Ann Arbor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acidhouse303

street pharmacist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone interviewing at U Mich Ann Arbor? I hear its a great place esp for research. If you already went to your interview, how was it? There were 3 different faculty interviews? Sounds intense. I havent scheduled mine yet but just got the letter. Thanks everyone ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Its very relaxed. I loved my interview at Michigan. I actually had two student and one faculty interviews, so it depends. You may get all faculty, but you could also have a lot of student interviews, which are a lot more relaxed. The interview was very easy and the program is great. The program has a lot of breadth and depth in terms of research and the med school has a more traditional curriculum, with lectures instead of PBL.

acidhouse303 said:
Hi guys, anyone interviewing at U Mich Ann Arbor? I hear its a great place esp for research. If you already went to your interview, how was it? There were 3 different faculty interviews? Sounds intense. I havent scheduled mine yet but just got the letter. Thanks everyone ! :)

3 back-to-back interviews: a combination of students and faculty members. it sounds intense (and it probably was at that point). one of my interview was with the dean of admissions, so Umich was a more intense experience than my other schools. however, the interviews go by really fast, and before you know it, the day is over.

Umich is indeed great for research. i also liked their facilities, and i had an amazing time staying with a student host. if you can, stay overnight that friday and hit up Ann Arbor.

Members don't see this ad :)
acidhouse303 said:

schedule it ASAP!!!

I was there last month and loved Ann Arbor. The weather was not nice, it was windy, cold, and rainy and I still thought it was a really charming town. There's a lot of school spirit and all the students I talked with seemed VERY happy with their choice. UMich runs a great interview day and they are committed to their students' success. I would be very happy attending that program.

acidhouse303 said:
Hi guys, anyone interviewing at U Mich Ann Arbor?
No... I'm waiting for U of M Flint to open up a Med school so that there will be an "other" U Mich to interview with! :p

Ann arbor is a great town to live in. Plus, the research and hospital are awesome and only improving. Did you see the life sciences initiative ? 3 completely new buildings (HUGE) for bioinformatics, molecular medicine etc. that will connect the medical campus to central campus AND a new cardiology center are going up. More new stuff is in the works.

yea i tried calling them to schedule interview but the admissions lady said their scheduling system is being re evaluated so she d ring my cell at the end of the week to verify when they have spots (??)anyway.. when you guys went to Ann Arbor- can you fly into the airport there or do u have to fly into detroit metro? Howd you get to ann arbor from there? the cabs seem mad pricey so i was wondering. i had no idea U mich was ranked so high. as far as research it was #8 (tied w stanford) the top 3 were harvard, hopkins, wash u (st louis) but seriouisly, wow. my alma mater's med schl only hit 12. (cornell) anyway, thanks guys and g'luck w/ everything. :luck:

acidhouse303 said:
yea i tried calling them to schedule interview but the admissions lady said their scheduling system is being re evaluated so she d ring my cell at the end of the week to verify when they have spots (??)anyway.. when you guys went to Ann Arbor- can you fly into the airport there or do u have to fly into detroit metro? Howd you get to ann arbor from there? the cabs seem mad pricey so i was wondering. i had no idea U mich was ranked so high. as far as research it was #8 (tied w stanford) the top 3 were harvard, hopkins, wash u (st louis) but seriouisly, wow. my alma mater's med schl only hit 12. (cornell) anyway, thanks guys and g'luck w/ everything. :luck:

Im planning on flying into detroit metro.
Have you thought about taking the Ann Arbor Metro? It says that it costs $20, which is probably a bit cheaper than a taxi.

The students at UMich were really down to earth. I had a great time visiting Ann Arbor although I didn't get to see much of the town. I hear it's nice though!

try taking the $20 shuttle... call the admissions office for the number. they may be able to squeeze you in.

IndyZX said:
try taking the $20 shuttle... call the admissions office for the number. they may be able to squeeze you in.

i took the AA airport shuttle from Detroit Metro for $20 each way and they were really reliable. Give them a call at 734 394 1665 and call at least a day in advance to make a reservation. Buy your round trip ticket on your outbound trip and it'll be $40 instead of $44.

you can also go to aaairportshuttleexpress.com for more info.

Hey Indy,
I just saw from the Waitlist thread and you and I were at Umich on the same day. Wonder if we met! :p hehe.

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
what do you guys think of Ann Arbor? what's it like?

Ann Arbor is...
A little slice of heaven.
PROVIDED - you have a full spectrum light to nullify Seasonal Affective Disorder, and planty of warm sweaters.
Houses surrounding the medical campus are really nice - old Victorians with quite a bit of charm.
Great food to - if your not local, check out Zingerman's when your there - VERY expensive for a deli, but great grub.

Zingerman's is deee-licious.

I'm from Michigan, and I would like to say that Ann Arbor is amazing. Zingerman's is definitely a great spot for lunch. The two gentlemen who founded that place are business geniuses. Anyways, have fun in Michigan, and I would take the AA shuttle from DTW.

There's even a song about Zingerman's.

(Oh yeah FYI, treat the people in the admissions office well--dont be a prick--, they're really really nice and if you piss them off they WILL remember you. )

if anyone wants to go out to the bar while they're here and needs someone to take them out, you know who to ask. :p

on a side note, is it inappropriate to ask your student host if they will show you the good bars while you're in town?

LauraMac said:
if anyone wants to go out to the bar while they're here and needs someone to take them out, you know who to ask. :p

on a side note, is it inappropriate to ask your student host if they will show you the good bars while you're in town?

I hate to change the topic of this thread...but i got into umich a couple of weeks ago( definately going and can't wait) and wanted to know what their policy on senior year grades are. I have a ****ty grade in a classics class because i missed too many days of class for interviews. Just wondering. Thanks.

yay congratulations man! they wont care about your classics grades.i mean come on, you're in !! as long as you ain't failing- so they wont think you are slacking off.. but im sure you be aight. so what did you think of the back to back interviews? were they pretty laid back or crazy? mine is coming up soon! *yikes!* how soon did they let u know of a decision, did u love ann arbor

My interviews at UMich were intense, but good. I heard it varies greatly based on who you interview with, however.

I was really impressed with Ann Arbor. Talk about a nice college town! They also get back to you quickly, which is a plus in my book :)

;)

I have to say that my interviews at UMich have been the best. I had three outstanding clinicians interview me. They will want to know Why UMich and Why Medicine? I really was impressed by their curriculum, student body, and faculty. It seemed too perfect, but it's true! Ann Arbor is a nice, liberal, and fun college-town. It's truly safe, and close to Detroit, in case you want to get a real-city feeling. Make sure you go to the bathroom before you start interviewing because you won't have a chance once the interviews start: it's all back to back! Mingle with the other applicants and the admissions directors during the waiting time -- I have heard that if you get called in to meet with Mr. Ruiz, that means that you will have a GOOD chance of getting accepted ("don't quote me on that one...") :confused: :rolleyes:

If you want more specific information, please feel free to PVT me :luck: :luck:

rick james said:
I'm from Michigan, and I would like to say that Ann Arbor is amazing. Zingerman's is definitely a great spot for lunch. The two gentlemen who founded that place are business geniuses. Anyways, have fun in Michigan, and I would take the AA shuttle from DTW.

Anyone who can charge $14 - $16 for a sandwich and have people stand in line to pay for them MUST be a business genius.

Yeah but once you're in school they serve Zingerman's sandwiches at a lot of Research Lectures. (cookies at the student lectures, zingermans at the professor lectures, cheesecake parties for the professors).

I have learned much of free medical center food as an undergrad. And though the food is good, the lectures are even better.

If you're clever, you need never pay for zingermans again.

I bet as long as you're not blowing it on a prereq, who cares? If they ask, say it's cuz you were travelling for interviews. It's not like it was OChem! ;)

I was running into the same problem in my Biochem class, so I changed to Pass/Fail. It took off all the pressure so now I can just study to learn, not to jump through any silly hoops.

Maybe I'll see you there next year!

Just so it's not a total nonsequiter this is a reply to Kush4444's I hate to change the topic of this thread...but i got into umich a couple of weeks ago( definately going and can't wait) and wanted to know what their policy on senior year grades are. I have a ****ty grade in a classics class because i missed too many days of class for interviews. Just wondering. Thanks.

DianaLynne said:
I bet as long as you're not blowing it on a prereq, who cares? If they ask, say it's cuz you were travelling for interviews. It's not like it was OChem! ;)

I was running into the same problem in my Biochem class, so I changed to Pass/Fail. It took off all the pressure so now I can just study to learn, not to jump through any silly hoops.

Maybe I'll see you there next year!

Just so it's not a total nonsequiter this is a reply to Kush4444's I hate to change the topic of this thread...but i got into umich a couple of weeks ago( definately going and can't wait) and wanted to know what their policy on senior year grades are. I have a ****ty grade in a classics class because i missed too many days of class for interviews. Just wondering. Thanks.

Just wondering-- Biochem is a requirement for Umich's med school. Will taking it pass/fail in anyway harm your offer of admissions?

just to add my two cents....after reading all these posts about ann arbor, i am getting nostalgic. i went there for undergrad and the town is fantastic. to all of those that got into michigan for med school, congrats, it is a great school and i am very jealous. i guarantee that all that go there will come to love ann arbor, football saturdays, and the cute girls in the nursing school :D

Yeah, the nursing students are definitely gorgeous. I wonder why we don't have any med student/nursing student mixers--they're all freakin grad student mixers.

Hey guys. I just wanted to chime in with a couple things.
leverp2000 said:
...the med school has a more traditional curriculum, with lectures instead of PBL.
This is half-true. It's true that UMich doesn't do "PBL," per se, but small-group learning is an integral part of the curriculum. The difference is like this: In true PBL, they give you a handout that lists a patient's history and symptoms, and then the students have to look everything up and figure out what's wrong and what to do. At UMich, we study patient cases, as well, but the research questions are more directed and we aren't expected to figure everything out by ourselves. I like the way it's done here, because lectures are a good way to learn things and there's enough small group time to offset them.

SaginawPremed said:
Just wondering-- Biochem is a requirement for Umich's med school. Will taking it pass/fail in anyway harm your offer of admissions?
I think any pre-req taken P/F for any school will definitely hurt an applicant's chances. I wouldn't try it.