U of A (Tucson) vs. UT McGovern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clumsy.md

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been accepted to both programs and although there are so many factors that go into making this decision, I'm hoping to see what you all think of these programs at face value.

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congratulations on two excellent choices. They're both solid schools that match well.

McGovern is in the TMC has tons of research opportunities (in the school + next to baylor, MD Anderson, Methodist). It's also cheaper as you can establish in-state residency after paying out of state for 1 year with 23K/yr IS tuition. They have great hospital to rotate thru. They are P/F for first 6 months then become graded for rest of preclinicals.

Not very familiar with U of Az Tucson other than knowing their tuition is nice for in-state and they match well.

If you don't get in-state tuition at Arizona, 100% McGovern. If you're in-state Arizona, consider where your support is, what lifestyle you'd like (Houston v. Tucson), and how you'd do in each respective curricula. Best of luck!
Definitely UT McGovern over U. of A as long as there are no financial or family reasons

Thank you both!

@Kracin I take it you're at Baylor? Do you mind if I PM you?

Reactions: 1 user
Really depends on what you value. McGovern is going to have better research and resources, but I would hands down prefer to live in Tucson as a gorgeous city without the same kind of urban sprawl. Might depend on where you get IS tuition and where your support is because you can't go wrong either place.

Reactions: 1 user