U of chicago neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gx70

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a call for post-match interview there. Any idea about the program? It is very unusual that they have 4 unfilled positions. Any insight will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

gx70 said:
I got a call for post-match interview there. Any idea about the program? It is very unusual that they have 4 unfilled positions. Any insight will be appreciated!

I heard this is one of the worst places, and definitely the worst in terms of its interview experience -- they are so condescending and pimp you like crazy -- think about it -- why would a supposedly well reputable program go unfilled in 4 out of its 5 slots not just after match, but also after scramble?

I found out through connections that the one poor soul that actually matched there was this Asian guy from UMaryland -- I feel so bad for this guy!

in terms of reputation university of chicago is very strong. they have amazing research and a lot of funding. theyre academically excellent. i think the turn-off this year was the bad interviews people had... i dont know why they had to be so pimp-y. but if you go there, i think youd get a top rate residency education, for sure. and chicagos chicago, so-- cant beat that. i do think its a little crazy they were so negative during interviews that they only filled one spot... that seems really weird to me. (i would have thought people would rank them regardless.. i guess they just ranked too few people-- ah, ego!)

Members don't see this ad :)
oy!! i just read jm's post. after scramble they had 4 spots still open??? crazy ****! i thought it was just after the match.

Thank you for the replys. I decided to go mainly because of the reputation of the program. Do you guys know what kind of questions they ask? I am a little worried now since I have a week to prepare. I really want to do neurology. To what extent they would pimp me? What should I read to prepare?

I highly doubt they're going to be too picky. I'm surprised they're "interviewing" after they failed to match 4 out of 5 spots. I suppose there is no rush since nobody else is trying to steal their candidates now.

I wonder what this will do to the program in the long run, whether this will be the beginning of a decline. After all, I would hate to be junior to a whole class of rejects as seniors... If I were U Chicago, I'd leave these 4 spots open and let people who matched into mid-tier Neuro programs transfer in at PGY-2 instead of trying to fill them NOW.

U of C was the only place that pimped me but it wasn't too bad. The Program director brought up a clinical vingette on his computer and had me go through it. I was not able to as the case was very difficult but the PD didn't seem to care much.
Also, there is no real scramble for early match. The programs have an entire year to fill the spots so they are in no rush to do it.
I am also certain that the program ranked too few canditates. While that was a stupid mistake it implies that the program is still fairly competitve (some people who ranked it did not get ranked). I would say that if you have a chance to go there it would still be a very good place for training. The rep of U of C is awesome as a whole but the Neurology rep is not quite the same. It is on pair with Mount Sinai, NY, USC, Loyola, and U of Iowa.

pimp you? what does that mean?

adoggie said:
pimp you? what does that mean?

That's the part of the interview when they put you loose on the street and tell you to come back with $100 within an hour. $150 if you require protection or help in finding clients.

swedcrip said:
That's the part of the interview when they put you loose on the street and tell you to come back with $100 within an hour. $150 if you require protection or help in finding clients.

UofC's not in the best area, I'd take the protection for an extra 50 bucks. I think they used this to weed out prospective applicants.

All the 4 unfilled positions at the University of Chicago has been filled. they received 100 applications.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether they ever update the "immediate vacancies" page on SFMatch... I know of a couple of classmates who didn't match initially and I was curious as to what options remain for them.

So who else is stoked the NRMP lists are finally certified and in cyber-space??

:)

rdomingo said:
Just wondering if anyone knows whether they ever update the "immediate vacancies" page on SFMatch... I know of a couple of classmates who didn't match initially and I was curious as to what options remain for them.

So who else is stoked the NRMP lists are finally certified and in cyber-space??

:)

southwestern was removed already

kappy001 said:
All the 4 unfilled positions at the University of Chicago has been filled. they received 100 applications.

U of C still has 4 of its positions still open --- they have not filled --- check the website.

jacksonianmarch said:
U of C still has 4 of its positions still open --- they have not filled --- check the website.
i got an email from program coordinator and she said that they received about 100 applications and now all the positions are filled.u can call them and recheck..either they didn't updated their status on sfmatch .i didn't do the followup.its better to call them to confirm..thanks