• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

U. of Indiana?

Pianoboe01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Indianapolis
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not a resident, but I'm an MS IV who has done two rotations there (one as a 3rd year and one as a 4th year). I feel IU is a very strong overall program, whether you want to go into academics or community practice. They have a brand new stand alone pathology building where residents park in the attached garage below it, and it is connected to the major hospitals via the People Mover (i.e. monorail) - you'll never need to move your car during the day. All of the hospitals are within a short walking distance. You see a huge variety of cases among all the different hospitals and a TON of frozens at University Hospital. The only down side to the program in my opinion is that there has been quite a bit of turnover in faculty recently (but all the quality ones are still there, including Dr. Ulbright who is AMAZING), and autopsy has very little if any forensics exposure. I will likely rank IU very high, if not #1.

Any specific questions?

Last edited:

schrute

RoyalCrownChinpokoMaster
    10+ Year Member
    Feb 12, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      I'm not a resident, but I'm an MS IV who has done two rotations there (one as a 3rd year and one as a 4th year). I feel IU is a very strong overall program, whether you want to go into academics or community practice. They have a brand new stand alone pathology building where residents park in the attached garage below it, and it is connected to the major hospitals via the People Mover (i.e. monorail) - you'll never need to move your car during the day. All of the hospitals are within a short walking distance. You see a huge variety of cases among all the different hospitals and a TON of frozens at University Hospital. The only down side to the program in my opinion is that there has been quite a bit of turnover in faculty recently (but all the quality ones are still there, including Dr. Ulbright who is AMAZING), and autopsy has very little if any forensics exposure. I will likely rank IU very high, if not #1.

Any specific questions?
      I'm very happy I matched at IU!

Faculty, to me, are very approachable, and the recent additions are great.
      A few things of note: whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, the dept is willing to change around the surg path rotation to improve it. Can't remember what it was in the past, but recently the surg path months went like this:
      frozens day 1 (responsibilities done at 5), gross day 2 (responsibilities done at 6:30, unless you're done earlier), sign out day 3 (somewhere in between), with usually 2 Saturdays grossing / rotation (done anywhere from 10am to 3pm, depends). Preview time can very, with some attendings wanting to sign out early if the load is heavy, but most will let you (and encourage you to) preview & make your own dx and dictation.

signout is general, but is becoming more subspecialized, currently with derm, GU, and some other stuff being separate. at least 1 day / month of surg path will be GU signout (IU has a huge GU set up with Ulbright, Eble and Grignot).

Recently (like this month) it was changed to a solid week of frozens, with the remaining 3 weeks divided up evenly between grossing and sign out. whether this manifests in more signout time (the impetus for the change) i'm not sure yet, but the bottom line is things can change if it doesn't work.

there are 3 full-time PAs, 1 biopsy tech, and they're looking for another PA (one recently left). additionally there are several PA students that start in the gross & frozen rooms in late summer. we're not overworked by any stretch of the imagination (though the volume is huge), but surg path is a busy month. which is another thing to keep in mind: unless a program is divided between AP and CP, you're only going to have ~4 or 5 months of surg path a year, interspersed with micro, autopsy, heme, VA, chemistry, etc. What fills the void & keeps you fresh--IMHO--are didactics, and the didactics at IU are fantastic.

New this year the PD started mandatory daily conference (7:30am): mon=CP, tues=AP (unknowns or lecture), wed=varies (gross conference, heme, etc), thurs=derm, fri=cytology. On top of that, every day at 4pm there's QC / interesting slide conference, which ranges anywhere from 30 min to an hour, and you see a variety of cases.

During surg path the grossing person presents cases at tumor board every Wednesday. During the Fall, we each help teach 2 hrs of med student path lab / week. We take 7 weeks of call / year as a first year, which decreases every year (not sure what 4th yrs take).

True, there's little forensics on the std autopsy rotation, but you're more than able to do a few days with the ME, or a forensics rotation. No concerns getting my 50.

The facilities are top notch (if you can adjust to a centralized lab outside, yet close to, the hospitals). Stipend and book fund is great. Health insurance: check. Gym across the street: check. Fellowships in house: check (cyto, heme, derm...GU should start in the near future, and others are open if there's someone wanting it, eg, neuro, forensics, and blood bank). Indy's a great place, and the people in the program are genuinely normal, and get together plenty often outside the confines of the lab. Research opportunities are available is you're interested, but not forced down your throat.

No problems from the grads passing boards. In fact one grad last year stayed on as junior faculty (rather than doing a surg path fellowship) which provides a ton of hot seat dx experience.

Anyway, sorry for the jumbled response, and I'm sure I forgot plenty, but I have no doubt I'll get great training here and am quite happy with my decision!

About the Ads

Sean2tall

Pathology Resident
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 30, 2003
      Indianapolis
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I am a resident there also, if there are any further questions, but schrute's reply seems quite thorough and I agree. It is especially true that the program director and other administration are quite willing to make changes if we feel learning opportunity could be better. (In other words, we're not just there to get the work done.) I'll try to come up with more later. Good luck all in the coming interviews, etc.!

Pianoboe01

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Feb 5, 2005
        Indianapolis
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          There are a lot more fellowship positions than there are people in each residency class, so many of the fellows are from other programs. Currently there are 8 fellows in 5 different fellowships (heme x 2, derm x 1, cyto x 3, forensics x 1, and transfusion x 1). Of these 8 fellows, I believe only one (maybe two?) did residency at IU, two did residency at Ball (a community residency program less than 1 hour away from IU), one is a dermatologist on the dermatology faculty at IU, and I don't know where the others are from.

Last edited:

Path or bust

I like meat
          10+ Year Member
          Jan 16, 2008
          www.
          1. Attending Physician
            this sounds like a great program!

Are fellows former IU residents? basically, are they taking more in house residents for fellowship?

Thanks

There is a strong tendency to take their own for fellowships. IU has the resources to have to have most all fellowships. I have been told that if the fellowship we are interested in is not currently offered, that they will take the proper steps to make those positions available. We really have great faculty who take great strides for us. Highly recommended.

I should say that every year there seems to be 1-2 residents who go straight into private practice.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.