U on transcript - what to enter on AMCAS (please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr. Scandinavia

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I took a quantitative chemistry class (with lab)at my university one quarter. The combination of classes was very hard, and I was a couple of days behind the withdrawal date, so I had to make a desicion on what to do. My chemistry teacher wouldn't work with me (no incomplete or withdrawal was accepted). After talking to my advisor, who told me a U on the transcript would be replaced when I retook the class, I decided to stop going to class. I received a U for 4 quarter units for this quarter. A year later I retook it (with the same teacher!) and was one of three students (of 36) who got an A (lab + lecture). The U is NOT calculated as part of my GPA at my university, and I thought this also applied for the AMCAS. But when I entered this grade(U)I got an F from AMCAS for 3 semester units! 🙁 🙁 🙁 This is affects my overall and science GPA, and I wondered if there was any way around it.

Thanks for reading through my post. I would really appreciate your input.