U on transcript - what to enter on AMCAS (please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Scandinavia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I took a quantitative chemistry class (with lab)at my university one quarter. The combination of classes was very hard, and I was a couple of days behind the withdrawal date, so I had to make a desicion on what to do. My chemistry teacher wouldn't work with me (no incomplete or withdrawal was accepted). After talking to my advisor, who told me a U on the transcript would be replaced when I retook the class, I decided to stop going to class. I received a U for 4 quarter units for this quarter. A year later I retook it (with the same teacher!) and was one of three students (of 36) who got an A (lab + lecture). The U is NOT calculated as part of my GPA at my university, and I thought this also applied for the AMCAS. But when I entered this grade(U)I got an F from AMCAS for 3 semester units! :( :( :( This is affects my overall and science GPA, and I wondered if there was any way around it.

Thanks for reading through my post. I would really appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.