U Penn Secondary - Rolling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody know if U Penn MSTP admission is on a rolling basis? I could not obtain that information from their website.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mr. Newquagmire,

Thank you for the post. Does this mean that there is no advantage in turning the secondary in early at U Penn? Thanks.

While the office would appreciate you getting your application in and complete in a timely fashion, there's no advantage to getting your application in early. However, if you're really late or you took the August MCAT, it could hurt you. Here's why.

Penn interviews all applicants interested in a department on a given day. If your application is really late because of August MCAT or LOR SNAFU, you could be at a disadvantage because you're competing against both early and late applicants for a typically limited second interview day. Also, if your application is really late due to either of the above reasons, you may end up with 1 - 2 weeks notice for an interview. This happens to a number of people every year and is usually due to their application being late.

Stanley said:
Hi Mr. Newquagmire,

Thank you for the post. Does this mean that there is no advantage in turning the secondary in early at U Penn? Thanks.

what makes you think i'm a mister?

as neuronix points out above, the advantage in submitting early is 1) to get the interview and 2) to show a school you're not just slacking off and letting it slide for weeks un-end.

Neuronix said:
Penn interviews all applicants interested in a department on a given day.

Does that mean there's one day each for neuro, biochem, pharma, BE, etc.? Or do some programs interview on the same day, i.e., biochem people interview with pharma people? I think it'd be rather interesting to interview with tons of BE-types on a single day, but the sense of competition might be overwhelming.

ninebillion said:
Does that mean there's one day each for neuro, biochem, pharma, BE, etc.? Or do some programs interview on the same day, i.e., biochem people interview with pharma people? I think it'd be rather interesting to interview with tons of BE-types on a single day, but the sense of competition might be overwhelming.

There is sort of one day each for each department. However, each day has about 20 interviewees and therefore some departments are big enough to interview that many people.

CAMB (Cell and Molecular Biology, the catchall) sort of has three days, one that's only CAMB, two that are combined with others for those who can't make the first day or have late apps
Neuro shares a day with CAMB and shares a second day with BE and Pharm.
This goes on for all the departments... As for BE, there's only around 5 people per year who interview for BE here, so there's only one day for it unless you have a good excuse not to be here that day. The reason is because we usually accept about 1 BE per year. When I see the 5 applicants I think "Which one will get in...", so the competition is still just a intense.

Meanwhile, if you get an invite before the first interview date for a department, the program will really try to pressure you into coming the first available day for your department. It's easier on their end, and it gives the late application or legitimate excuse people a chance to come on the later day.

Thanks Newquagmire and Neuronix for the reply. I had no idea that they (MSTP) may view delayed submission as a negative thing. I would think they are just take it as common, as people usually spend some time on the essay. Regardlesss, I am inspired to get my stuff in soon. Thanks.

P.S. Newquagmire: when I addressed you as mister, it was more a force of habit and nothing else. Please accept my apology if I got it wrong, though.