U Penn vs. UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inspector Gadget

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering what you guys thought. Assuming that I would get a limited amount of money from U Penn if any. I went to UCLA for undergrad and I really liked my time there. My family and friends are all in los angeles. But I have never gotten a chance to live on the east coast either and I do have family in Philly as well. I really liked U Penn. The students were happy, the facilities amazing, and the curriculum great. But UCLA is affordable, the weather is great, the grading is P/F, and the hospital is great (new one will be even better).

Appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes I wonder if people who have never been out of Southern CA...really appreciate Southern CA. Perhaps it is good for people to go out and freeze for awhile.

I'm battling with the same decision now, except Cornell instead of Penn. I'm 95% sure that I'm going to choose UCLA, though, because its cheaper, better weather, P/F grading, friends live here, etc. I'm also slightly afraid of PBL, which is the type of curriculum that Cornell has, but that doesnt really apply to Penn.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Inspector Gadget, the grading at Penn is basically P/F from what I've heard. It's completely P/F for the first year, and H/P/F for the 2nd (which is really just P/F, because everyone keeps telling me that your 1st two years don't even get looked at for internship/residency). Of course the 3rd and 4th years are graded, but they pretty much HAVE to be in order for you to be differentiated from other applicants for internship/residency. And when I went to Penn Preview they told us that a good number of the professors are always trying to get the 2nd year changed to only P/F as well. In any case, it seemed like things aren't really competitive there; I don't think the H/P/F 2nd year thing is a reason NOT to choose Penn.

I've also gotten the impression that they're pretty generous with financial aid at Penn. If you've gotten a scholarship or better offer elsewhere I hear they'll try to match it. Perhaps if you just tell them about your other option they'll throw a little more money your way! :D

Actually, Penn is only P/F for the first semester (module 1) which runs until January. When you come back after winter break you start module 2 which is H/P/F--this module runs until january of your second year, you have winter break once again and then you come back and begin your clinical rotations(hell yeah!). But like tommygunn said, it is obvious that the presence of honors in your first two years doesn't foster a competitive environment---and I can actually verify the fact that if you tell Penn (specifically Gaye Sheffler) you really want to be there but have better financial offers elsewhere, she will hook it up to make it more manageable to go to Penn...she's all about getting people there who really want to be there!

Hey everyone.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I appreciate all of your insights. Best of luck in the upcoming year and please keep the advice coming.

I don't know much about UPENN, but it seems like alot of people that interviewed there really really loved Penn.

someone a while ago mentioned they were going to UPenn over UCLA. They also mentioned they were UCLA alums.

Go to Penn before you go to Cornell.

But if UCLA is home, that's tough to beat.

Trust me, the basic science H/P/F thing in module 2 means nothing. If you go to Penn and do well in the clinics you can pick your residency.

Hey Lt. Ub. It says you are from philly. Do you go to Penn Med or did you go there for undergrad. If so what was your personal experience like.
Thank You

Inspector,

I'm heading into my last year at Penn Med. To sum up my experience would be quite a task. I guess my bottom line is that I've had a great experience, and that I'm already kind of bummed that I'm near the end. Here's why:

- The 1.5 years of the basics is the only way to fly. By the end of my 3rd year, I've already finished my sub-I, a month in the NICU (a "unit month"), and a bunch of electives. If I didn't know what I was going into, I would have had plenty of time to figure it out. This also makes my 4th year pretty dang nice. I'm heading up a little study that I should be published in my next year. Plus I'm going to do a few case reports for people I've worked with. Easily adding to that CV...

- A light lecture schedule during the basics lets you create your own experience in a bunch of ways.

- The grading system - this makes for a laid back cooperative atmosphere.

- An unbelievable collection of hospitals, clinics, and other facilities and technology. Let's you see all the rare crazy conditions, the sickest of the sick, and the most up-to-date ways to care for these patients.

- It's a research powerhouse - 1/6 of my class are MD/PhDs. Another group are taking a year out to do more long term projects. If you can think of a project, there is a mentor/PI out there who will back you up.

- The reputation - ALL residency programs love the fact that I'm gonna be a Penn Med grad.

- Philly is a great place to spend a few years. The neighborhood is not nearly as bad as people say. It's on the very edge of West Philly and Center City. Most of my class lives in downtown in some pretty sweet neighborhoods - all within walking distance. The city is at your fingertips.

- The administration is extremely supportive. Flexible place.

Anyway, that's what's off the top of my head. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Ub

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Inspector Gadget:
•Hi everyone. I was wondering what you guys thought. Assuming that I would get a limited amount of money from U Penn if any. I went to UCLA for undergrad and I really liked my time there. My family and friends are all in los angeles. But I have never gotten a chance to live on the east coast either and I do have family in Philly as well. I really liked U Penn. The students were happy, the facilities amazing, and the curriculum great. But UCLA is affordable, the weather is great, the grading is P/F, and the hospital is great (new one will be even better).

Appreciate any input.•••••How long are they giving you to decide? Did you find out about one after 5/15?

I found out about UCLA after 5/15. I have two weeks. I did not hear anything from UCLA post-interview until after 5/15 and then I got my acceptance. It was hard waiting that long, but in the end I guess it is all the same.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Inspector Gadget:
•I found out about UCLA after 5/15. I have two weeks. I did not hear anything from UCLA post-interview until after 5/15 and then I got my acceptance. It was hard waiting that long, but in the end I guess it is all the same.•••••When did you interview at UCLA? When did you find out about your acceptance? Where will you be going or are you still debating?

Hey MissMedicine,
I like the name. Thanks for keeping the discussion going. Are you a bruin? It says you are from California. Anyhow, as of now I am leaning towards UCLA. I am prettey sure I will be there in the fall. I am from the area so my family is close. I love the weather because I am an outdoors person. The tuition is low so I can minimize my debt. I realize that Penn is a great school and may open doors, but I do not think going to UCLA excludes me from doing anything I could do from Penn. It is a great school with a good reputation too. I interviewed in early March, and got in on May 17th. It was about 8 or 9 weeks. Seemed like an eternity. Where are you with UCLA? Have you heard yet? Either way hope we are classmates next year.
Good luck!