SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

U.S. Army Medical Department

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by snowjoe, Apr 28, 2007.

1. snowjoe

snowjoe

Mar 4, 2007
    HEY ALL!

So I was thinking about joining the reserves to pay for med school. Does anyone out there have any experience/knowledge/recommendations about this path? Anything would be appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Vano

Vano 7+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Not sure how much the Reserve status would pay for your med.education. Full military scholarships require you to serve on active duty for the number of years for which they paid for you upon completion of residency, after completing the active duty service you remain on the reserve service for a number of years. Army, Navy and Air Force websites should have plenty of information on those scholarships.

4. anb111

anb111 New Member 10+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    i'm currently in the national guard. i can tell you that most states will pay 100% of your tuition going through medical school (or any graduate program for that matter). contact a recruiter for more info. this is the route i will be taking because i'm not sure if i want to be tied down to an active duty contract just yet. i did an internship with the us army medical department, better known as amedd and in my opinion, they have some of the best healthcare professionals i have ever seen.

feel free to pm if you have any specific questions.

5. snowjoe

snowjoe

Mar 4, 2007
    I guess to put it frankly, I don't want to ask the devil if I should sell my soul to him...Although the reserves is by no means the devil, I just want some outside input

6. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member 5+ Year Member

May 21, 2005
    I'm not in the military, but the way I have heard it described is as follows:
    If you want to be in the military, these scholarships are a golden ticket. If you do not want to be in the military, do NOT take one of these scholarships. It does not make sense financially. It's sort of like doing an MD/PhD just for the money...in the end it doesn't add up.

7. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky 10+ Year Member

You should definitely look through the military medicine forum on this website.

8. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member 5+ Year Member

May 21, 2005
    Nice H.O.G. quote in your signature!

9. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Uranus
    I grew up in a military family and always wanted to serve in the military myself. I even applied to and interviewed with USUHS.

After reading the experience of the people here in the SDN military forum and re-analyzing the things I see at my own military hospital on Ft. Hood, I have strayed away from the thought of going to USUHS or using the HPSP. Take that how you want, but I would definitely read the opinions of those in the military forum before committing to anything.

10. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2002
    SDN Partner
    I cannot emphasize this point enough.

11. snowjoe

snowjoe

Mar 4, 2007
    I didn't even know about the military forum but just checked it out and it looks like it will have the answers I need. Thanks all for the quick replies