U.S citizen going to Med School in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beautylover930

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an undergrad student looking into medical schools and I would love to study abroad. I considered studying in Europe but upon much research Australia has more advanced medical practices and is more hands on. It would also be easier seeing as how they speak English.

I've read about how tuition rates although I couldnt really find a concrete number (If anyone could tell me approximately how much that would be great!) I dont really have much interest in coming back home to the states.

Im wondering if they high tuition rates really make it worth it.

If anyone could provide me with residency information that would be great. I would like everyones opinion on going to the Uni of Melbourne. (Also are they mean to Americans? Just curious.)

What is it like living over there?Ive heard alot of bad things but I dont tend to believe what I hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im an undergrad student looking into medical schools and I would love to study abroad. I considered studying in Europe but upon much research Australia has more advanced medical practices and is more hands on. It would also be easier seeing as how they speak English.

I've read about how tuition rates although I couldnt really find a concrete number (If anyone could tell me approximately how much that would be great!) I dont really have much interest in coming back home to the states.

Im wondering if they high tuition rates really make it worth it.

If anyone could provide me with residency information that would be great. I would like everyones opinion on going to the Uni of Melbourne. (Also are they mean to Americans? Just curious.)

What is it like living over there? I hear its beautiful and a lot of fun!
1) I'm not as familiar with them but there are several undergraduate medical schools in Australia.

2) Tuition will depend on the specific medical school. Just Google something like "undergraduate medical schools in Australia," go to the website of a few schools, and check out fees for international students. I might be wrong because I don't really know, but from what I remember overhearing the international students I've met say, my guess is around $40,000 (AUD) per year?

However, if you're borrowing in US dollars, the exchange rate is definitely in your favor right now. So if it's for example $40,000 (AUD) per year, then it's currently (very very roughly) something like $28,000 (USD) per year (but this may not include other fees like transaction fees).

Of course, if you plan to pay back your loans in Australian dollars, and if the exchange rate is more or less what it is now, then...caveat emptor!

3) All this doesn't include other important factors you should consider before moving here. For example, you might change your mind and decide you do want to return home to the US, so you'd have to consider whether you'll likely be able to return to the US in a specialty you want to do. It's only getting tougher every year to return to the US, especially if you're aiming for competitive specialties like most surgical specialties, derm, etc. Also, I haven't met any international students who haven't been able to get an intern/RMO job if they wanted one, but you eventually do want to get PR/citizenship for jobs beyond this point. I haven't looked into it myself and need to but read about FATCA as well. Etc.

4) I've met very few people who are mean to Americans. I think most Aussies are friendly and nice. There are some who are the opposite of this, but that's probably the case any place you go. Overall my experience is Aussies get along very well with Americans so I don't think you'll have any huge problems here.

5) It is absolutely beautiful in Australia! :) It depends where you live. If you have a place in mind and I'm familiar with it, I can comment further.

6) Uni of Melbourne has a great reputation in Australia for medicine. One of the best. I've been there, have or had friends there, and I've heard mostly good things. I don't know the curriculum but I've heard it's solid.

Melbourne as a city is also lovely. Love the culture, laneways, etc. It often gets wet and rainy though, sort of like Portland or Seattle, I guess, but overall a pretty cool city.

Last edited: