U.S. IMG here. Should I do med school all over again in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ven0m

boop
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US citizen and am almost done with an IMG program in China (WHO certified program). I came here straight out of high school. My parents think I should take MCAT and apply for a US med school after I get my MBBS from here, because they think I won't be able to get a residency even with an above average USMLE score. I'm not aiming for a super competitive field, probably just internal medicine. Also, I have no contacts in the US that can help me get a residency.

I was wondering if it's worth it to start med school all over again just to smooth out the process of getting residency. If not, do you guys think I can get an internal medicine residency (I don't care about working in a big city) just by getting a good score in USMLE? I don't have any US clinical experience, but seeing as its required, I can sign up for things like Americlerkships after I've graduated.

I'm super stressed about this all and would appreciate you guys' input.

Members don't see this ad.

May as well apply and see where that gets you..
You'd have to take the MCAT as well as get a university/college degree. This is an 8 year investment.

May as well apply and see where that gets you..
You'd have to take the MCAT as well as get a university/college degree. This is an 8 year investment.
The thing is, I answer Uworld questions correctly and understand them, but I looked at MCAT stuff and it seems very difficult to me. For example I know almost zero organic chemistry, which is tested on MCAT in detail; I only know a very superficial level of organic chemistry to understand biochemistry (eg oxaloacetate has 4 carbons, acetate of acetyl-CoA has 2 carbons, thus combine them to get citrate, which is 6 carbons). This means I would have to dedicate at least half a year if I wanted to get a high MCAT score, which is why I'm hesitant about applying for US med school, since that would take time away from my USMLE study time. Which brings me to ask, is it worth half a million dollars + more years of studying just to increase chances of getting residency, or do i have a chance at getting residency now if I get a good step 1 score and obtain US clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
The bolded part I'm confused about - does this mean US med schools wouldn't really count my MBBS degree, in that I'd have to go through premed in the US for 4 years first??

I'm a US citizen and am almost done with an IMG program in China (WHO certified program). I came here straight out of high school. My parents think I should take MCAT and apply for a US med school after I get my MBBS from here, because they think I won't be able to get a residency even with an above average USMLE score. I'm not aiming for a super competitive field, probably just internal medicine. Also, I have no contacts in the US that can help me get a residency.

I was wondering if it's worth it to start med school all over again just to smooth out the process of getting residency. If not, do you guys think I can get an internal medicine residency (I don't care about working in a big city) just by getting a good score in USMLE? I don't have any US clinical experience, but seeing as its required, I can sign up for things like Americlerkships after I've graduated.

I'm super stressed about this all and would appreciate you guys' input.
Have you done ck? Is that above average as well? The overall chance of an img matching is around 52% according to the nrmp. You have some solid things going going for you like no visa required as well as above average step 1 score. So there is that. I would recommend getting some usce and a few lors and apply broadly. You have a decent chance at matching if you play your cards right.

Have you done ck? Is that above average as well? The overall chance of an img matching is around 52% according to the nrmp. You have some solid things going going for you like no visa required as well as above average step 1 score. So there is that. I would recommend getting some usce and a few lors and apply broadly. You have a decent chance at matching if you play your cards right.
I haven't taken any step yet, I'm currently half done studying for Step 1. I am planning to take Step 1 near graduation (of course an above average score is a must), go back to the states for USCE (e.g., americlerkships etc) while studying for Step 2 simultaneously (and of course an above average score is a must). I'll apply to a lot of hospitals. Is my plan sufficient, or what would you change? Feel free to be brutally honest with me. And do LORs from things like americlerkships count?

Thank you for helping me.

I haven't taken any step yet, I'm currently half done studying for Step 1. I am planning to take Step 1 near graduation (of course an above average score is a must), go back to the states for USCE (e.g., americlerkships etc) while studying for Step 2 simultaneously (and of course an above average score is a must). I'll apply to a lot of hospitals. Is my plan sufficient, or what would you change? Feel free to be brutally honest with me. And do LORs from things like americlerkships count?

Without knowing your actual step scores it’s completely impossible to know if your plan is sufficient. Study hard, do well on the test

Reactions: 1 user

At this point you need to study hard and kill step 1 and 2. Your scores will determine the type and number of doors open to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Many US medical schools will see your MBBS and determine that you've already gone to medical school, and hence not consider you. This simply isn't a realistic option. NYCOM has a pathway specifically for IMG students, but most schools will not consider you.

Many US medical schools will see your MBBS and determine that you've already gone to medical school, and hence not consider you. This simply isn't a realistic option. NYCOM has a pathway specifically for IMG students, but most schools will not consider you.

Thank you for the reply sir.

The other thing to remember is that you need to come back for USCE prior to graduating from medical school. Once you graduate (i.e. no longer a med student) basically all USCE where you actually are involved with patient care will no longer be available. You'll be left with observerships, which are better than nothing but not nearly as good as actual rotations where you have patient interaction.