U.S. Master's of Counseling Degree in the U.K.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aroms777

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question about moving to England with an American Counseling degree. My SO lives there and I intend to move over once I finish my Master's. I'm wondering whether I will struggle to find work in a different country with my American degree. My program also ended its accreditation last year, so I'm worried that this will make me look like a worse candidate on top of having a foreign degree. I'm also not as familiar with how their counseling field may be different from mine here in the U.S. Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting! You might want to consider pursuing either further training/supervision or further education in the UK (given the differences in culture and perspective).

I’d look into their professional governing board (not sure if it’s like a board of behavioral sciences like in states in the US, but you might ask and dig around online). This will help with understanding their educational/training requirements. You might want to look at some of their local master’s level programs too, just to see what they say about licensure and the kind of training their folks receive.

Have you looked into any counseling organizations there and/or regional professional organizations to join? Might be a good place to start, as well.

Wish I had more advice, but at the master’s level, it might get a little dicey in terms of how you’re allowed to practice across national lines.