u.s. med degree & practicing medicine in europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how difficult it is to practice medicine in europe with a u.s. md degree? specifically, i'm interested in ireland. i looked it up on the internet and it appears as though one must take an english test, a clinical skills test, and a medical/science knowledge test. does anyone know how difficult the tests are?
is it possible to get a residency in ireland after obtaining a u.s. md degree? would it be possible to practice in the states afterward or would i need to jump through a bunch of hoops?
thanks,
lola

Members don't see this ad.

lola-

Not sure about the first part of your question, but I think if you go to a U.S. medical school, do an Irish residency, and then come back and try to practice in the U.S., you will still have to do a U.S. residency. That is the way, to my understanding, that most of the state licensing boards work.

Just my thoughts.

-Skip

I think the honest answer is that you'd better pick a continent when you graduate and stay there. Having said that, I think European graduate training is a little more flexible, often done at many different hospitals. This means that you would almost certainly get some kind of credit for what you'd done in the US (it would just count as an excotic far-away hospital).

I think Skip Intro is right about going from Europe to the US. Some people on these boards have talked about getting credit for maybe one year but I think that's very uncommon.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no idea what is popular in the czech republic...i go back to school wed and when i am in the clinic i will ask what is difficult to get into...it shames me to say that i have no idea, i guess i am just focussing on what my goals are at home and not too much on what my colleagues are going through!

What I found out from my limited search was that you can take all the tests (English language, clinical skills, and knowledge test), but if you haven't completed a residency year in your home country, you can only do preregistration house officer jobs, no matter how long you have trained in the UK.

bumping up an old thread...

i will be getting a u.s. medical degree and doing a residency in the u.s. but may wish to move to ireland at some point (will be married to an irish citizen) . does anyone know how this works or know of a website that has the information? thanks :).

I don't know about Ireland but it's basically up to each country. Italy for instance, will not recognise a US residency bc the US won't recognise an Italian residency. That means that if an Italian med school grad decides to do a residency in the US, then return to Italy, s/he would have to do another one in Italy. There is no reason any US med school grad would ever want to come to Italy to do a residency considering there is a 1-3 year waiting list to even enter into a residency program here.

I am sure it is possible to get into a Irish residency program. If the US allows foreign med grads to enter into US residency programs I really cannot see another country prohibiting foreign med grads from entering their own programs. Granted they can make it difficult for you, but I am sure it is legally possible.

You're best bet would probably be to ask drs in both countries. Try contacting the schools you are interested in and getting some names. That's what my bf and I did since we are in the same boat.