U.S. Physician Considering Move to India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a Caribbean medical school. I will have completed my residency in the United States next year. If I was interested in practicing as a physician in India, what would the licensing process entail?

Is a Caribbean medical diploma recognized in India?
Would I have to take any specific licensing tests?
Would I have to repeat a residency in India, or would my U.S. residency training be acceptable?

Any useful feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

your MD will be recognized as most Caribbean schools are WHO recognized, and your residency will also be recognized.
really depends on licensing issues on what type of work you are going to do in India, if you are looking to get a job in government hospital or in academics, definitely you will need a license but if you are looking to open up your own private practice or join a private hospital, licensing issues shouldn't be a big of deal. and most likely you will make better money in private as you are US trained etc. etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to pass the MCI screening exam to gain a license to practice. Plus 1 year internship is needed.

i heard average salary rs 8000 for md. Us -$200 I think my utility bill would be more than that. Try US , Canada , England . NOT INDIA cuz a call center rep would make around $1000 while doctors make $200.