U.S. supposedly has most coronavirus related deaths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterchiefk57

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s been said that China has suppressed their numbers, while the US now has more deaths than Italy. What exactly are we doing wrong? Is anyone willing to say our numbers are due to a poor response or a population with a lower quality of health? Thoughts? I know this is a simplistic view, but the discussion has to start somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s been said that China has suppressed their numbers, while the US now has more deaths than Italy. What exactly are we doing wrong? Is anyone willing to say our numbers are due to a poor response or a population with a lower quality of health? Thoughts? I know this is a simplistic view, but the discussion has to start somewhere.
We also have over 5x the population of italy.

Reactions: 1 user
We also have over 5x the population of italy.
Absolutely, but my statement wasn’t meant to be a simplistic comparison between the US and Italy. Both China and India have more than 4x the population of the US and substantially lower deaths. I only mentioned Italy because of their previous front runner status that has now been overcame by the United States of America.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely, but my statement wasn’t meant to be a simplistic comparison between the US and Italy. Both China and India have more than 4x the population of the US and substantially lower deaths. I only mentioned Italy because of their previous front runner status that has now been overcame by the United States of America.
There is no way China's published numbers are accurate.

India is almost certainly not testing enough people to have accurate numbers either.

Reactions: 2 users
US: 20,254 deaths/524,576 positive cases = 3.9% died

Italy: 19,468 deaths/152,271 positive cases = 12.8% died

France: 13,832 deaths/93,790 positive cases = 14.7% died

US population is 330 million, can’t go by absolute numbers because our absolute numbers will by high just based on our much larger population. The percent dead in the US among those who tested positive is still one of the lowest in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I read a couple of articles where they interviewed local Italian leaders who essentially said - look we are overwhelmed. If your neighbors ask the police to check on you and they find 2 decreased 80 year olds in their beds - they aren't getting tested. Similarly, I'm not a New Yorker, but I read an article that suggested that in certain localities if you are found with no pulse outside of a hospital its entirely possible they aren't going to take you to a hospital and therefore you aren't going to be tested.

Obviously, both of those anecdotes have a lot more information to them that I'm not able to provide. I suspect there's substantial under reporting - worse so anywhere that the bodies are piling up faster than they can do anything about it.

Our death per popultion is one of the lowest, which makes no sense since we have the highest obesity rate and other health issues which increases risk of death with Covid-19.

There is no way China's published numbers are accurate.

India is almost certainly not testing enough people to have accurate numbers either.

India is likely not testing enough but instituted a 21-day shetler-in-place besides essentials at essentially the first sign of COVID-19 entering the country. The clusters of outbreaks in that country are due to some percentage of clusters breaking quarantine and spreading it to other communities.

Contrast this to the US and European countries where it was businesss as usual until things started to get back.

India is likely not testing enough but instituted a 21-day shetler-in-place besides essentials at essentially the first sign of COVID-19 entering the country. The clusters of outbreaks in that country are due to some percentage of clusters breaking quarantine and spreading it to other communities.

Contrast this to the US and European countries where it was businesss as usual until things started to get back.

Yes a national lockdown would have be been nice here in the US but the logistics of it are a nightmare. India’s government knowingly did it at the expense of the poor who are disproportionately affected more by India’s lockdown—some are even forced to go hungry as a result. That wouldn’t fly here in the US.

Plus way too much bureaucracy and politics here in the US with states fighting the federal government and vice versa. Both parties also playing politics in an election year.

Last edited:
Yes a national lockdown would have be been nice here in the US but the logistics of it are a nightmare. India’s government knowingly did it at the expense of the poor who are disproportionately affected more by India’s lockdown—some are even forced to go hungry as a result. That wouldn’t fly here in the US.

Plus way too much bureaucracy and politics here in the US with states fighting the federal government and vice versa. Both parties also playing politics in an election year.

Agreed. Was not saying that's what US should've done, just saying that's the step that was taken in India to limit this. I don't feel that Indian numbers are to be distrusted in the way Chinese numbers may.

Its really embarrassing that our numbers are higher than third world countries. I know other countries aren't testing - but the way the reporting is happening makes it seem like we can't control the problem
It's embarrassing that we aren't lying about our numbers?

masterchiefk57 said:
My opinion is that it has to do with the quarantine. Other countries are doing it right--we're not. Plain and simple.

My opinion is that it has to do with the quarantine. Other countries are doing it right--we're not. Plain and simple.

We keep talking about trying to re-open the country every two seconds.. we are definitely not doing things right. We were so late in the response.

Eliat87 said:
We keep talking about trying to re-open the country every two seconds.. we are definitely not doing things right. We were so late in the response.
Well eventually the economy will become a problem that's harder to handle than the quarantine, so I beg to differ

Well eventually the economy will become a problem that's harder to handle than the quarantine, so I beg to differ
No pain, no gain. If the country as a one nation had gone into a strict shutdown all over for 6 to 8 weeks, we could have gained an upper hand over the virus and could have reopened the business carefully and gradually for everyone. But we lost that opportunity. Now with every state/county/city calling the shots individually, we will never be able to contain the virus. More and more people will die and will never be able to reopen the business with enough confidence until a vaccine becomes available. Want the proof? Just look at the other countries. But we won’t, because we are above all the countries and it is below our ego to learn anything from others.