U-shaped trend--at what point does it no longer matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TarheelGirlx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my semester GPAs have gone from 3.5-->3.0--->3.57-->2.79-->2.72-->3.48-->3.7

The semesters with the 2.79 and 2.72, in all honesty, were because I started off poorly, beat myself up, felt l like I wasn't smart enough to be there, etc. etc. One of these didnt have any science courses in it, so I guess that doesn't look AS bad.

I actually didn't realize how bad this was until I calculated it all up :(. So far my courses this semester (science and non) should be A/A- , which will make my GPA higher. But If I continue to do well this semester and A's post bac, will this trend be too much of a "W" to hurt me? I should note I am taking the most credit hours I have ever taken and seem to be doing well. Will this speak for itself? The main question I have is when does an upward trend become insignificant in regards to approximately a 3.5 sGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

So my semester GPAs have gone from 3.5-->3.0--->3.57-->2.79-->2.72-->3.48-->3.7

The semesters with the 2.79 and 2.72, in all honesty, were because I started off poorly, beat myself up, felt l like I wasn't smart enough to be there, etc. etc. One of these didnt have any science courses in it, so I guess that doesn't look AS bad.

I actually didn't realize how bad this was until I calculated it all up :(. So far my courses this semester (science and non) should be A/A- , which will make my GPA higher. But If I continue to do well this semester and A's post bac, will this trend be too much of a "W" to hurt me? I should note I am taking the most credit hours I have ever taken and seem to be doing well. Will this speak for itself? The main question I have is when does an upward trend become insignificant in regards to approximately a 3.5 sGPA?

I wouldn't call that a U-shaped trend.

An upward trend is never insignificant though.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what about a downward trend?

Cause my upper level classes are pretty hard.

4.0, 3.8, 3.8, 3.7, 3.6, 3.5

sad_frog.jpg

While most college transcripts show gpa by term (semester, trimester, quarter), your AMCAS application will show it by academic year or in ~30 credit increments if you were part-time, with anything beyond ~90 credits shown as 4th year even if you took >4 yrs to finish your degree.

So, the downward trend isn't so bad but it is a slide. That the <3.0 semesters had no science classes does suggest that your BCPM (bio, chem, physics, math) gpa will be better which is a good thing.

I wouldn't call that a U-shaped trend.

An upward trend is never insignificant though.

MedPR, I've seen you on a lot of forums, and I saw your stats where you applied this cycle. Did you get any acceptances?