UAB vs MCG (Reputation vs Fit)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatiscollege321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I narrowed down my choices to UAB and MCG. I am getting cold feet before committing to one of these medical schools and wanted to get some final opinions.

Finances
-MCG is instate and is 180K for 4 years (30k/yr tuition + ~15k/yr living).
-After receiving a scholarship, UAB (OOS) is 240K for 4 years (45k/yr tuition + ~15k/yr living).
-This 60k difference in cost between the schools is somewhat negligible for me if the program at UAB is worth it.

Fit
-As an instate resident, I definitely feel like I know the MCG curriculum better and am familiar/comfortable with the faculty, student body (I have a foundation of friends going), and city.
-When I interviewed at UAB, I loved the student body's vibes (they seemed more happy), faculty, and clinical resources.

Reputation/Rank (if it matters)
-UAB is known for its research. US news currently ranks it #32 for research and #37 for primary care.
-MCG is currently ranked #84 for research and #90 for primary care.

I am currently slightly leaning towards MCG, but do not want to regret my choice of not going to UAB given their great reputation with research and rank. I was wondering if the difference in rank between UAB and MCG is negligible; in other words if I performed similarly in both environments, would attending UAB open more doors as opposed to MCG? I do not want to regret not accepting the scholarship at UAB, but also feel like MCG is the conservative and comfortable choice. In terms of residency, I am aiming for ophthalmology or a competitive IM program (Emory would be nice!).

I appreciate all advice! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.