UAB vs South Alabama

Started by deleted1038253
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1038253

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UAB

Pros:
  • Research powerhouse
  • "Higher prestige"
  • Better competitive specialty match opportunities
  • The go-to academic hospital in Birmingham
  • Live in Birmingham (great city with lots to do)
  • Familiar with faculty
  • Well regarded faculty and clinicians at UAB with great connections
  • P/F preclinical

Cons:
  • Large class size
  • Spent my whole life in Birmingham (change of scenery may be nice)
  • Step scores hover around the average

South Alabama

Pros:
  • Emphasis on clinical experience and exposure very early
  • Reputation for being well-prepared for residencies.
  • A collaborative, tight-knit community feel to the school
  • P/F preclinical
  • Service oriented
  • A new city would be nice (close to New Orleans and the beaches in Alabama and Florida)
  • Step scores are above the national average and UAB
  • Smaller class size, emphasis on TBL
  • Main Hospital system in Mobile and surrounding regions
Cons:
  • Fewer research opportunities than UAB
  • Fewer students match into the very competitive specialties
  • Would have to pay a little for housing
  • "Lower ranked"
I feel like I can't go wrong with either school. Both schools have great match lists and similar CoA. I thought South was a better "fit" when I interviewed there.