UAB vs. USA (South Alabama)

Started by Link333
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Link333

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums and wanted to see what information current medical students can provide about UAB and South Alabama. While it is difficult to know which option is better for me solely from interviewing and searching the web, I will list my personal pros and cons for each school below. I am most interested in information people can provide on how their curriculums differ, overall student happiness, and ability to match in a competitive specialty. I am reluctant to choose UAB based off of interview day because South was so welcoming and really seemed to want us there. South also has a smaller class, which might provide more individual attention. However, I'm wondering if these attitudes prevail once classes actually start. I am in-state, so that is not a factor. Thanks in advance!

USA

pros: Small class size, faculty/professors really seemed to care about students on interview day, easier to get around campus/park

cons: research opportunities may be lacking, farther from home (slightly)

UAB

pros: well-known, great research opportunities, student amenities

cons: larger class, located downtown, hard to find an apartment(?)
 
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums and wanted to see what information current medical students can provide about UAB and South Alabama. While it is difficult to know which option is better for me solely from interviewing and searching the web, I will list my personal pros and cons for each school below. I am most interested in information people can provide on how their curriculums differ, overall student happiness, and ability to match in a competitive specialty. I am reluctant to choose UAB based off of interview day because South was so welcoming and really seemed to want us there. South also has a smaller class, which might provide more individual attention. However, I'm wondering if these attitudes prevail once classes actually start. I am in-state, so that is not a factor. Thanks in advance!

USA

pros: Small class size, faculty/professors really seemed to care about students on interview day, easier to get around campus/park

cons: research opportunities may be lacking, farther from home (slightly)

UAB

pros: well-known, great research opportunities, student amenities

cons: larger class, located downtown, hard to find an apartment(?)

Have you garnered any helpful information since this posting? I've recently interviewed at both schools and they're really the only two I'm considering so I'm very curious.